~2~

TYLER ¤ POV

I hoisted my backpack over my shoulder, my chin up, but my eyes downcast. I made a point of not making eye contact with anyone, although I could feel my class mate's eyes on me as I trudged through the campus.

After calling Remi and having him comfort me and calm me down, I felt more confident, more like my usual self. He was right, I shouldn't have to hide who I was for anybody else. I didn't live for anybody else. I lived for me.

Of course it hurt knowing that the people around me in my everyday life couldn't accept my preference in dating or the clothes I liked to wear. I spent more time at school then I did at home and the judgemental environment was exhausting to survive in. The only person that kept me going was Remi and I loved my older brother for making me feel like the beautiful boy I wanted to be.

I smiled. It was the end of the day, I could finally go home where I was safe with my favourite person. I could change into the clothes I wanted to wear and just relax.

I wanted to forget this day ever happened, forget the way I was laughed at for simply wanting equality. I wanted to forget the whispers of my classmates and the disapproving look from my teacher.

But part of me was proud that I'd worked up the courage to run for student council, even if I didn't win. I had finally done right by me, I'd finally been brave. Remi and I made it tradition to attend pride marches each year, but this was different, this was more personal to me and I was proud of myself for not chickening out.

"Tyler, wait up!"

My body tensed and my smile dropped. I felt my chest tighten and my cheeks heat as I remembered the humiliation of being ignored by my closest friend. What did she want now? I didn't turn towards Ciara, I kept walking.

Her hand landed on my shoulder and I took a deep breath for calm as she rounded my body, blocking my path. Her pale white face was red with the effort of running and her uniform was out of place. I stared wistfully at her pleated pinafore, wishing I could swap my trousers for the favourable piece. "What do you want Ciara?"

"I'm sorry," she shrugged sheepishly, biting her lip with nervousness. "I just... I panicked, I didn't know what to do."

"You panicked?" I raised my eyebrows, not bothering to hide the hurt and disappointment in my voice. "I stood up in front of the class and ran for student council with pledges I poured my heart into, only to be laughed at and called a couple of disgusting slurs behind my back. But you panicked?"

My body tensed as my pain turned to anger. "I expected it from them, but I didn't expect it from you. Just admit it, you're only my friend when I'm wearing these stupid clothes and blending in with the 'norm', but when I'm in a skirt, with my makeup done better than yours, you don't want to be associated with me. You're embarrassed of me and you're just as bad as them for not sticking by me. Because I would've stuck by you and that just tells me that we're not meant to be friends."

"I'm glad I realised that now, and not when something worse might happen to me. Being called a tr*nny and a f*ggot is nothing compared to people like me being murdered each year for absolutely nothing other than hatred. Would you 'panic' and ignore me if I got attacked by a bunch of homophobes at the mall? It shouldn't matter how big or small, we're supposed to be friends. But you care more about your reputation than defending who I am. I won't risk my safety for our doomed friendship. Don't talk to me Ciara. You're fake."

Everyone wants a gay best friend until it's time to face the bullshit we suffer through as members of the LGBTQ+ community. Then again, this was a catholic school so what in the hell did I expect?