Chapter THIRTEEN

Lacey Paxton

There is no way you are up to the vertical climb up the steep sandstone mountains, which means by the time Ace leads you the long way around, over the spindly ridges, dawn is breaking over the farmlands that surround the outskirts of the village..

You pause by a weathered wooden fence post, feeling flush and out of breath, wondering how its possible that Ace doesn't seem in the least tired.. Though you're sure he must be..

"I.. Really.. Need.. To.. Work out.. More.." You pant, feeling like your legs are made of jelly as you unscrew the cap on the water bottle you've been carrying..

Ace stops walking and turns to you with a twinkling white grin, lowing his rifle.. You can't keep your gaze from traveling over his impressive, broad shoulders, his rigid, alert posture causing his muscles to swell beneath his jacket.. Those high chiseled cheekbones and that dark hair, set off by those dreamy eyes, an impossibly icy pale blue.. "What are you talking about, Doll?.. You're always at the gym.." He chuckles, a low and rich rumbling that sets sparks alight across your skin.. The sound warm and affectionate..

Oh dear..
Despite your efforts to dismiss that charming smile of his as anything other than innocent friendliness and obligation, and despite wanting so badly to heed your brother's warning and forget about your "naive crush" on the guy (Hunter's words exactly).. Ace Greyson still captures your attention.. He holds your breath hostage in your chest as he stalks towards you in a few long, confident strides.. Your heart beat stuttering in your throat.. You narrow your eyes on him.."Um.. How do you know that?.."

He grins mischievously, leaning against the old post, his inviting, casual pose framed against the backdrop of a glowing golden sunrise.. "Hm, I notice you around the offices, Lacey.. Kinda hard not to.."

You pause mid-sip of the lukewarm water, almost choking at his boldness..
He notices you?!..
What is that supposed to mean?!..
And why does it make you so excited to hear that from him.. Nervously excited..

The sweetest smile tugs at his lips as he watches you curiously and his eyes glint like pastel sapphires in the morning light.. That is until his gaze falls to his rifle and it's as though he remembers who he is.. Before long, that pensive stoney expression returns to settle over his gorgeous face..

Say something!! Why aren't you talking!?..
The little voice in your head screams at you to speak..
The right words are frozen in your throat, like glass shards.. Still, you want so badly to just say them.. Spit it out!! But they won't seem to come.. Instead you just stare at him, dumbstruck.. Like a weirdo..

"Ah, well.." He sighs an amused huff, breaking the tension and tilting his head in an encouraging nod before turning away from you, marching forward..

Your feet are following him before you even realise you're walking.. You came here to change yourself, to be braver.. That includes speaking your mind.. This trip might not have turned out the way anybody would have thought.. But that doesn't mean you can just give up.. You wanted to take back control, and now more than ever, that needs to still be true.. You take several scurried steps to catch up to him, stealing your nerve and forcing out the words.. "I.. um.. noticed you too, Ace.."

He doesn't stop moving, but you definitely see a new kind of tension coil around his muscles at the sound of your voice beside him.. "You did, huh?.."

His tone is light, and playful, making your confession a little easier.. You blush, thankful that he doesn't turn that scorching hot gaze of his on you.. "Um.. Yeah, well.. Like you said.. It's kind of hard not to.."