Chapter 32

"One more time." Amila exhaled through heavy breaths.

The week of Christmas was upon her. Christmas Eve was tomorrow and so was showtime. There were no more days of practice. This was it and she wasn't ready to walk out of the practice studio even though she'd been there before the sun-kissed visited the sky. Now, the burning star was shining its brilliance on another hemisphere. Night had begun and she wasn't satisfied.

"Mila," Savoy wisped out. His chest rose and fell briskly as the water bottle littered with lemon slices hovered near his mouth. "Today was only a run through and we ran through it."

She nodded. The entire ensemble had been there working out some issues that even the untrained eye could spot. They were long gone especially since it was past some of the dancers' bedtime. Amila was tired. Her energy was in negative territory but she knew her performance could be better. Their timing was slight because she was holding back. Keeping her heart wrapped up in the bandages that placed the shattered pieces back in place after the day she received Dominic's last and final gift; keys to the house and car Dominic bought her.

It's yours. Keep it. Come back.

She shook her head removing those words he sent with the gift out of her mind and the words she almost texted back. If he wasn't going to knock on her door then he didn't deserve her 'I love yous' and 'I miss yous' either. She didn't want that house and she didn't want the car. Both objects carried far too many memories. She wanted one thing and one thing only. Too bad it was the one thing he wasn't willing to give her. A thing that she made the mistake of giving him. Now, it was broken but she'd had her heart broken before. She knew it would heal with time.

"I'd sleep better if we just did our pas de deux." She gripped her waist, slightly leaner with her stomach empty since the salad she had for lunch was worked off several hours ago. "I think it could be better."

"It's as good as two people can get it in two weeks." He chuckled with humor that didn't reach his eyes.

She saw the small worries he had resting in his eyes. The worries he wasn't going to tell her because of their relationship. Their friendship was getting in the way of him being as critical as he was with the dancers he'd been training for three months.

"I want to move the audience." She said removing the space between them. "We're holding back and that's my fault. I'm letting a breakup get in my head and knock me off my game."

"You were dating," Savion said with slight interest making it sound more like a question.

"But it's over." She waved off his concern then placed her hands on his shoulder standing on the tip of her ballet shoes. "Our duet is lacking passion. Let's give it some."

His eyes dipped to her lips for the briefest of seconds she didn't give it much thought but when his mouth lowered to hers she knew she should have. His lips were soft and if he had made a move years ago when they were teenagers she probably would've been electrified by the touch of him. But they weren't teenagers and he was her sister's last boyfriend.

Amila abruptly pulled away from his kiss and lowered to her heels, "What are you doing?"

"I was—" He stopped, turning to the glass wall as if something caught his attention. "I thought I locked the doors."

He hurried into the hallway and she followed him. It was well past eight and the thought of a stranger roaming around the studio sorta creeped her out so didn't leave Savion's shadow. Her breathing quickened as the thought of a random person walking off the street watching them and then at the end of her inhale. It was a familiar redolence. A scent that made her heart hum and soul purr.

No. It couldn't be. Her footsteps picked up as she moved around Savion making it to the foyer before him.

"Dominic." She whispered catching a glimpse of him sliding in the back of the luxury sedan.

She knew he couldn't hear her but he paused anyway and she darted out the door. Unfortunately, he slammed the door before she could reach the car. The taillights claimed all of her vision as she watched the car glide down the road.

"Who is that?" Savion asked.

She didn't know he was occupying the space next to her or that he followed her outside. She blinked back her confusion. Why was Dominic there? Why did he leave in such a hurry? Why didn't he stop?

The answer to the first question drained all the moisture from her mouth. It felt as if her tongue was a tumbleweed and if she didn't breathe in the moisture-rich air she'd faint to the damp pavement. Her heart pounded in her chest breaking free of those bandages she wrapped it in flooding her system with the pain she tried to tuck away. He was here. The man she loved showed up but now he was gone. He was gone and probably wouldn't come back all because...

Amila's mouth shut as she turned to Savion. "Why did you do that?" She took a step back, putting some space between them. "Why would you kiss me?"

"I was..." Savion nervously stroked the back of his neck. "Trying to find passion. You look just like her."

"I'm not her." She spat out. "I'm not Akeela."

"I know that." He reached out to her but she pulled her hand away. "I just got...swept up. At that moment you reminded me of her and I miss her. I wanted to kiss her. I'm sorry." He placed his hands together with complete sincerity. "I'm sorry I crossed the line. Forgive me."

She narrowed her eyes at him wanting to shred him with her words but she knew how it felt to miss Akeela. She missed her every day from morning to night for the last year.

"Just don't do it again." She pointed at him sternly. "Ever. Got it."

He held up palms. "I promise." Then he jutted his chin to the street that was now vacant. "Was that the guy? The one you were dating?"

"Yes," She didn't look at the street. She wasn't able to. "That was him and he's gone." She shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. But it was. Her sight dropped to the ground as she tried to push the tears down but once she caught the rose petal on the pavement there was no tucking them away. The well broke and the tears fell. Dominic had come to her and she was being kissed by another man. Fucking bad timing. That's what that was. 

Amila didn't know what she should do next. All she knew was she wanted him to know that the kiss he saw meant nothing.

What do you think Amila should do?

Why do you think Dominic left without saying anything?

If you were Amila would you be mad at Savion for the kiss?