Chapter 4: The Apartment

November 7, 1928

Daniel Smith's Apartment Building

12:30 P.M.

Hank pulled up in front of the address they had on Daniel. As soon as the call came in from Connor, he began to regret coming in when he had. 

But as soon as he'd gotten back from the Philips residence Fowler had called him in and told him to get his shit together. Get into work before one in the afternoon, be sober for the majority of the week, and actually put a 'god damned effort into his work for once'.

Hank had managed to actually get into work before 11, a new record, but had still wanted to prolong working with Connor as long as he could. The tension had lessened somewhat between the two of them, but it still felt wrong to work with him. He may be a good detective but he worked for one of the most prominent mobs in the city and would probably become the Don sooner or later.

Hank sighed as he pulled up to the location. It's wasn't as though Hank isn't aware of the mobs' corruption in the police force. But usually, he wasn't partnered with any of them and they tended to steer clear of him.

Regardless, Hank would just have to get through this case as fast as he good.

"Good evening Lieutenant." Connor greeted, seemingly to appear on the curb out of nowhere as Hank got out of his car.

"Stern," Hank replied dryly, looking at the apartments in front of them. "So this is the place?"

"Yes, this is Daniel Smiths' apartment building. He's lived here since 1919 when he began to work for Philips. He tried to be as close as he could manage to be to the family." Connor opened the door, tilting his head slightly. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah, let's get this over with." Hank walked past him into the building's first floor. "Room 06 right?"

Connor nodded, following him in. "Right down the hall on your right."

Once they reached the paint chipped door, Hank knocked a few times. "Daniel Smith?"

Silence. 

Hank sighed, knocking again. "Detroit Police, we just want to ask you some questions."

Still no response.

"Perhaps he's already le-" Connor began to suggest when a loud crash sounded from within the apartment, immediately resulting in both men drawing their guns.

"After me, got it?" Hank ordered the other.

"Understood."

Hank nodded and kicked the door in, slowly making their way further into the apartment. No one in the living room, bathroom empty, and the bedroom disheveled, clothes were thrown everywhere, the window open. 

Once they reached the mess in the bedroom Hank stopped and lowered his gun. "Shit. He's gone, left as soon as he heard us."

Connor had already holstered his gun and continued into the room. "But why now? He committed the murder two days ago. Why not leave sooner than this?"

"Didn't know what he was doing or what to do." Hank shook his head, holstering his own weapon. "I'll call the department and have them send forensics to look at the scene."