02 . the 'accident'

The trio made their way further up the grass, Toni and Marley muttering whatever came to their minds the way they've always done, choosing to ignore the disapproving noises coming from the blonde ahead of them. 

"You know what I bet?" Marley asked, walking backwards to face Toni.

"That we'll be filthy rich when they find us?" Toni guessed, earning a smile from Marley.

"Actually yeah. I mean think about it we can sue for damages and claim loads of benefits off this shit show." Marley gushed, dreaming up a life outside the island even though she knew there was little chance of it coming true. "Not that you need the money right, Princess?" she calls to Shelby, who hides the smile on her face before turning to the pair of them.

"Just be quiet and keep a listen out for water." she said, eyes glancing between the two of them, sensing Toni's hostile nature. 

"You know I think it's your ponytail, it's putting us off," Marley retorted.

"Yeah I mean I've been looking at it for so long I think it thinks it's better than me," Tony added snappily. At this, Shelby turned around, gesturing in front of her. 

"Then why don't the two of you lead the way."

"Fine." Tony snapped, and the two of them walked slightly ahead. "Princess?" she muttered to Marley. "What was that about?"

"It's a joke, Toni, relax," Marley replied before the two of them rolled their eyes hearing the blonde start praying aloud. 

"Weren't you just telling us to shut up and listen for water?" Tony whirled to face the blonde.

"It's different," Shelby said, "when you pray, God opens your senses." That earned a scoff from Toni.

"God is such a joke." Toni said. 

"Yeah, you know he's just a brainwashing tool that's used to enslave the masses?" Marley piped up.

"Even if He were a brainwashing tool," Shelby said, taking a step closer to Marley, Toni moving between them slightly, "Don't you ever think your brains could use a good ol' scrub?" Shelby asked. 

"Fuck off." Marley spat, turning round and continuing to walk, Toni matching her pace, something as simple as her presence calming Marley slightly, who chose to ignore the blonde behind them as she continuously prayed aloud, the sound along irritating Marley to her wits end, which Toni noticed, her own anger resurfacing. Continuing up through the grass, Toni saw an opportunity when Marley pushed a couple branches out the way for them to get past, Toni took over holding them before harshly letting them back into Shelby's face causing her to fall down the path they had just walked up, screaming as she did. 

"Shit, Shelby," Toni said, fear crossing her once angry features as her and Marley hurried back to help her. "I'm so sorry," she started.

"It's alright, I'm fine," Shelby said, bringing a hand to her temple, her fingers coming away covered in blood. 

"Shit, we are so sorry," Marley said softly, her and Toni going to help hoist Shelby back to her feet, the blonde simply shaking them off.

"You too should go on back." she said, turning to face them. "I will too but I think you should get a head start. I would prefer to do the walk back alone." With solemn, guilty faces, the pair headed back towards the others.

"Toni.." Marley spoke, reaching out to take hold of the girl's arm. "It was an accident.."

"We both know it wasn't Marley. I let my anger get the better of me again." Toni snapped, shaking the girl's hand off her arm, walking ahead to find the group again, Marley following close behind before she stopped. "You alright? We're nearly back."