06 . friendships and relationships

After helping Dot and Fatin finish up the current inventory, Marley, Toni and Martha left for a walk along the shore and past the rocks to look for a makeshift crutch for Martha to use. It also gave them the chance to talk, just the three of them, without fear of anyone eavesdropping for the first time. 

"You know, if this was under different circumstances, this island would make a nice vacation." Marley remarked, looking over at her friends as Toni carried Martha on her back. "There would be a huge resort, shit tonnes of food and endless amounts of cocktails."

"But we're all under-aged, Marley," Martha replied, being the wholesome one of the group whereas Toni just laughed. 

"Well sure, but you know us, we'd find a way to get round it," Marley retorted. 

"We wouldn't have to worry about when or what we would eat and we would be able to sleep in nice luxury beds," Toni added before setting Martha down to sit on one of the rocks. 

"Oh hey, what about this, Marty?" Marley asked, holding up a broken tree branch. "It's strong enough to give you support and the way it's broken almost looks artistic." Martha nodded and Marley went back over, handing it to her before sitting beside Toni in the sand. 

"We'll get out of this you guys. And then we can go home and forget this even happened. It'll be just us three again," said Toni, trying to convince herself that when they were rescued nothing would change. "Marty put your foot in the water for a bit, it'll help." Martha did as Toni suggested, tensing slightly at the cold temperature of the water.

"So how does it feel?" Marley asked. 

"I don't know? Cold," Martha muttered whilst Toni let out a small laugh.

"Yeah, that's the point Marty."

"Someone is definitely coming for us though, right?" Martha asked, vulnerability laced clearly in her tone. 

"Obviously," Toni stated. "You have noticed the amount of rich white girls on this island right?" Martha chuckled.

"She's right. There's no way the Texas Pageant Princess will be left on an island for long." Marley added.

"You know, Shelby said her dad's probably at the White House right now. Just yelling at the President to come and find us." Martha said, looking out at the sea. She didn't realise how Marley and Toni's attitudes fell slightly at how much more faith Martha seemed to have in Shelby than in them. "Do you think we'll be famous after? Shelby said they'll probably give us a nickname. Something for people to remember us and our story with." Martha carried on. 

"Let me guess, Marty. She also told you about talk shows, interviews and a shit ton of press? Told you we'd be famous?" Marley asked, bitterness laced through her tone, not that Martha noticed.

"Jesus Christ, Marty, you can't go two seconds without bringing her up can you?" Toni snapped, where Martha seemed slightly confused at the harshness.

"What?"

"You know she's just gonna drop you once all this is over?" Toni questioned, looking over at her.

"You don't know that," Martha replied feebly.

"Look, Marty, I love you but think about it. She's from Dallas first of all and there's no way she'd invite you down there. She's a Christian. And she does pageants. And after all this is over she'll soak in the fame and go on back to her little Christian friends pretending the world is perfect." Marley spoke up, ignoring the surprised look from Toni at her outburst. "I'm not trying to hurt you, I'm just trying to get you understand the reality."

"I do understand the reality. You two were prejudiced against her from the second she spoke. And the two of you don't get to sit there and lecture me about reality when you're living in your little fantasy moments as if you're still together and like you didn't break her heart, Marley." Marley shrunk back at the statement, watching as Martha used the branch to stand up. "I'm gonna head back and let you two calm down a bit." And with that, she left, hobbling back along the shore to find the others, leaving the ex-couple sat in a strange silence.