nine

Today is May 12th, 12:30 pm. I'm currently at work going through file after file.

It's been almost two weeks working with Agent Wilson, and let me tell you, I sure do miss Anderson.

Nothing against Hayden, it's just hard going from working with your friend to a complete stranger. Although, I seem to know everything about his life.

I can tell you that his parents were high school sweethearts who engaged by their senior year. They both went to Princeton University and married the same day as their graduation.

Two of his sisters were married, one of them even had a family of her own. His youngest brother, Austin, is a student at Caltech also hoping to join the FBI one day; just like his brother.

I don't think he could tell you anything abut me though, I tried to stick to my work instead of spilling my entire life story to someone I had just met. You would think he would get the point by now.

Currently, he's telling me about his nephew Oliver.

"Aw, he seems so sweet." I say almost sarcastically. I was tired of hearing about his life.

--

After about two hours of listening to him talking, he finally said something work related,

"I'm gonna go deliver these downstairs. Care to join me?" He asked as he picked up the stack of folders we had been working on today.

"No thanks." I completed over half of them as he chatted up a storm, but i'll let him take the credit. I just needed a break of silence.

I went back to the case file I was working on as the phone on my desk started ringing.

"Agent Carter." I spoke in my customer service voice.

"No need for the sweet talk." It was Margret. I looked over to her and laughed.

"What's up?"

"You're needed on floor six." She spoke.

"Floor six? What, why?" I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"No clue, but you better hurry up there; it sounded like an emergency."

"Alright, thanks."

I was beyond confused. The sixth floor was the BAU's floor. What could they possibly need me for?

I pulled out my phone and opened the camera app. I ran my fingers through my straight hair as I checked my appearance.

I then stood up and headed towards the elevator. As it opened, Hayden walked out, returning from delivering the folders.

"Going somewhere?" He asked.

"Uh, yeah. I'll be right back." I replied quickly as I stepped in before the doors could close. I wasn't sure if I should be sharing where I was going, I didn't even know why I was going there.

As the elevator rose I could feel myself growing more and more nervous.

When the doors opened, I stepped out and looked around. I didn't even know where I was supposed to be going.

"Excuse me, could you please-" I tried to ask an agent for help, but he ignored me and continued walking.

I then approached another agent that was seated at one of the many desks in the middle of the floor.

"Hi. Uh- I'm from floor three, could you please tell me where your supervisor is located?"

"Sure thing, Sweet Cheeks." He chuckled. "Up the stairs, third door." He said as he pointed to the office.

I thanked the agent, then headed up the small flight of stairs and approached the door.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and knocked. My palms were sweating due to my nerves, so I quickly wiped them on my pants.

"Come in." I heard a deep voice say.

I opened the door to see the dark haired agent I had met a few weeks before, looking down at the folder on his desk.

"Hi, I'm Agent Carter." I introduced myself again, in case he didn't remember me. I however, could never forget him. "I was sent by Margret Johnson from floor three?" I finished my sentence shyly and in more of a question tone.

He then looked up from his desk, and our eyes locked. I felt my heart racing in my chest.

"Ah, yes, Devyn Carter. We met a few weeks ago at the hospital, yes?"

I nodded as I stepped away from the doorway, and fully entered the room.

"It's nice to see you again." He spoke with a faint smile as he leaned over his desk to shake my hand. His tie dangled in front of him.

"Please, take a seat."

I sat down in the chair across from him and crossed my legs.

"Did they explain to you why I called you here?" He asked.

"No, I"m afraid not."

He nodded, "We have a case, here in Virginia, and I would like you to assist us. I'll explain the details to you and the team soon."

"But, Sir, I'm not qualified to be in the field." I mentioned. Of course, I wanted to help him and the team, but I wanted to prevent what happened last time. I didn't want to deal with the wrath of Strauss again, I was already on her shit list.

He chuckled, "Don't worry, you won't be going in the field. As you know already, Agent Greenaway has yet to return to work. We're down an agent, and normally I would ask Anderson to come along, but well, you know." He trailed off as he finished.

I nodded, feeling a little embarrassed to assume, but he was clearly upset about Anderson getting fired. I mean, it was partially his fault. He probably felt guilty.

"So you'll join us?" He asked.

"I'd love to." I said eagerly with a smile on my face.

"Great, follow me." He said as he grabbed the thick folder he was reading before and stood up to leave.

I quickly followed him out the door, but he paused.

"We've got a case. Conference room now." He demanded as he spoke loudly to the rest of the agents on the floor below him.

A few agents rose from their desks and entered a door I assumed was where we were headed.

Before we went back down the stairs, he knocked on the office door that was next to his and opened it.

I recognized the man sitting inside as the other agent I had met at the hospital, but I couldn't recall his name.

"Conference room." Agent Hotchner spoke sternly, the other agent nodded.

He then did the same thing to the final door located on the higher level.

This agent immediately got up from her desk. It was the communications liaison, Jennifer, I had quickly spoken to at the hospital. She exited her office to follow Agent Hotchner, then me closely behind.

The three of us walked down the small set of stairs and entered the conference room.

They both went to the front of the room and stood in front of a large TV screen. I assumed he was explaining to her something about the case.

I was awkwardly standing in the doorway, not knowing where to go, when someone tapped on my shoulder from behind.

"Well, aren't you going to join us?" He asked. It was the older man from the hospital that accompanied the office next to Agent Hotchner's. He then walked passed me and joined the four other agents seated at the table.

"My apologies." Hotchner spoke as he noticed all eyes were on me in the corner.

He stepped away from his conversation,

"Everyone, this is Agent Carter. She'll be joining us on this case."