Katia

Y/N's POV
A guard led Zuko and I to a hall, Zuko stopped us and said, "you know, Y/N, I think I should wait here. This is a personal moment for you."

I took a deep breath and nodded before following the guard to a little cell at the end of the hall.

Inside there was a woman, she was pretty, but dirty and clearly not well cared for. She had dark bags under her eyes and her frowning lips were chapped, her face was dirty and she hadn't even looked up at myself or the guard.

He unlocked the door and I slipped in, sitting in front of her.

"Hello."

Her eyes turned to examine me for a moment before turning back away, ignoring me.

I awkwardly cleared my throat, "is your name Katia?"

Again, she didn't respond.

"You had a lover, his name was Akaden?"

At the mention of my birth father's name, she looked up at me, disgusted by my presence and spat, "don't you dare speak his name."

My heart sunk as I threw my hands up, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

She squinted her eyes, examining my hand before grabbing onto it and pulling of towards her, looking at my bracelet, "where did you get this?"

Okay. I should tell her now.  

"Well, the orphanage gave it to my adoptive parents when they adopted me... umm, my name is Y/N, and I'm under the impression that you might be my mother."

She froze, tears rushing to her eyes before she placed her dirty fingertips on my face, examining my features before slowly wrapping her arms around me and falling into a fit of tears, "you have his eyes."

Not used to so much human contact, I froze when her arms wrapped around me before awkwardly patting her back as she balled her eyes out, "umm... Akaden's?"

She nodded as she sniffled into my shoulder.

After a few moments I gently pulled away before explaining, "let's get you out of here and clean you up."

She furrowed her eyebrows, not responding to me and examining my training gear and all the little scars all over my body, "what- what did they do to you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your covered in scars and-"

"Oh! No, no, that's nothing serious. Listen, we'll discuss it once we've gotten you cleaned up, the airship is waiting."

"What?"

"I don't know if you've heard but the war is over. The new Fire Lord is freeing all of the war prisoners. You're free to go."

She didn't respond.

I offered her my hand and led her down the hall to where Zuko was waiting for us.

"Katia, this is Fire Lord Zuko. Zuko, this is my birth mother."

He slightly bowed his head, "it's an honour to meet you, ma'am"

She furrowed her eyebrows, confused and hesitant, but followed us out of the prison, nevertheless.

When we arrived back at the palace, I followed the servant who took Katia to clean her up, and waited in the guest bedroom whilst she was being showered.