𝐈. 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

Even the luster of the brilliant golden summer sun couldn't ease the bleak and cold stones which build up Selwyn Manor. The dreary greys and obsidian slates always tend to look wrong against the vibrance that comes with the warmer seasons. Bright green blades of grass clash with black marble, just as daisies and wildflowers stretched across the perfectly manicured lawn looks incorrect with each gothic-based detail, all the way down to the framework. The Manor looks as if it belongs in a continuous state of blankets of snow and barren branches, devoid of life beyond its four walls.

Although this may be where she resides in between her stays at Hogwarts, this isn't Akina's home. A structure void of comfort or love isn't home. It is simply an in between; a midway chapter. 

A stepping stone pathway along the side of the estate leads to the back gardens, which are just as empty as the front yard, spare a couple neatly clipped hedge structures. Her favorite hedge is the one that most resembles a serpent as it loops across the entire expanse. From a birds eye view, one could see the snake as its head begins on the east wing of the building and loops and coils all across the yard until the tip of the tail reaches the west wing. From the ground, though, it simply looks like a wavy hedge fence shrouding the entire perimeter, perhaps for privacy had it not been placed so far from any other human life. 

Along the back wall of the serpent is a tall, charcoal stable which houses four horses. An Abraxan, a Granian, an Aethonan, and Marisol says there's a Thestral, though Akina hasn't had the pleasure of seeing the creature with her own eyes yet. One of each, all serving a purpose, of course. No being on the Selwyn property is welcome without purpose. 

The Abraxan towers over the other creatures at a proud fifteen feet tall. Its Palomino coat is always finely brushed, as the frivolous beast will throw a fit if not properly groomed. She and Akina don't get along the finest. The Granian, on the other hand, takes to Akina like thunder takes to lightning. She believes that they're alike in a sense, reserved and jagged. Jaded and worn down. 

On this particular smoldering summer day, she's tending to the horses as she usually does whenever she is stranded at the Manor. She's unloading slabs of meat in what appears to be an empty stall, though they always end up disappearing eventually so she assumes that the Thestral is pleased. In Akina's earshot is a pair of footsteps clacking against the stepping stones, drawing closer and closer.

Marisol Selwyn is dressed in an outfit that looks far too long for the blistering weather; there's no way she isn't sweating buckets. Though she looks effortlessly content as she treads down the long path, and Akina guesses she must be cold blooded. All serpents are. 

"You begin school next week." She says indifferently.

Akina only nods. Way to state the absolute obvious.

"Fifth year and still no proper suitors-- not even a friend. You're embarrassing us, Akina, what am I supposed to tell the other ladies? Their daughters and sons are on their way to be wedded, and you don't even speak to anyone your age," Marisol huffs, crossing her black-clad arms across her chest, her manicured nails drumming patterns onto her sleeve.

Akina fights the urge to roll her eyes, this spiel has been heard time and time again. "What does this have to do with school starting?"

"I'm getting there," She snaps. "This is what you need to do this year. Find yourself a nice pureblood boy, respectable. He must have some wealth, nothing like those bloodtraitor Weasley boys-- Look at me when I'm speaking to you!"

Her eyes snap up towards her mother's scowling face. Age hasn't been all to kind to her, already adorning crows feet along her eyes and frown lines. They're only that much more prominent when she's wearing a look of distaste or anger; she looks like a manticore, if manticores wore tacky Italian loafers.