Chapter 4

That had been the end of them. They'd only broken up three days ago and she was posting pictures of herself with this other guy. That means this picture was posted the next day! His blood boiled like flaming lava. He was livid!

Meet me at The Diamond Shop. He texted.

Deacan couldn't finish eating. Seeing that picture turned his stomach sour. He placed the bowl in the sink and climbed the stairs to his bedroom two at a time. The top drawer on the dresser held the destroyer of a two year dream. He grabbed the red velvet box and looked at the ring again. He'd spent months agonizing about buying it because he didn't want her to think it was simple. Now he just wanted to be rid of it.

He put on some sneakers and locked up the house. Deacan hurried into his car and tossed the ring on the passenger seat. It fell next to the card from last night. He noticed the writing for the first time.

Sorry for the dent! Please give me a call at 314-555-2468.

Deacan got out the car to inspect it. Now that he was looking, he saw the dent and the paint scratches. “AAAARGH! What else can go wrong?”

The damage wasn't bad at all, but that did little to ease Deacan's frustration. Maybe he just wanted to be mad since his morning sucked. Deacan dragged his right hand down his face and rubbed his eyes. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Things had to turn around. Surely the heavens would rain down some relief. He needed a break.

Deacan got back in the car and headed to the jeweler. He dialed the number on the card. It rang a few times then went to voicemail, so he left a message with his number. Pulling into the store's parking lot about 15 minutes later, Deacan waited for his friend by the door. Five minutes later, a car whipped into the lot and reversed into a space. The car door opened and Clark got out.

“What up, bruh!”

Clark held up his hand to signal he was on the phone. Deacan then checked his to make sure he hadn't missed the return call.

“What up tho'! How you been?” Clark asked.

“You know me.” They slapped hands and Clark eyed Deacan curiously. His friend radar was warning him Deacan was in a mood.

“Alright, so tell me what's up.”

“You know I was going to propose to Jennifer?” Clark nodded and waited for his friend to keep going. Deacan ran everything down to him and Clark nearly choked on his spit when he heard she’d been cheating on him.

Clark had only seen Jennifer a few times, but when they were together, she seemed into Deacan. Clark and Deacan met at the gym about four months ago. They bonded over a love of shoes. Deacan had been wearing some custom decorated high top Chuck Taylor Converse. That was the first time he'd been introduced to Jennifer. She'd come out of the changing room and had hung all over Deacan. They seemed to really love each other.

“Man, really? For how long?”

“I don't know. I didn't even ask. I was so pissed when she told me, I could barely look at her. This was three days ago.”

“Why didn't you hit me up? We could've met up.”

Deacan shrugged his shoulders, “Man, I've been in a daze. Work is busy and when this happened, I just wanted to be alone.”

Clark reached out and patted his friend on the back. He didn't really know what to say so he hoped the gesture spoke his heart.

“So today, I see she posted a holding hands picture two days ago of this new guy. The day after we broke up! How could I have been so stupid? I feel like a damn idiot! She's an evil woman!”