6 | broken hearts

She was soft and sweet like strawberries and cream and he couldn't get enough of burying himself into her arms and soaking up all her warmth. He couldn't believe that she was here after every confusing thing that had happened to them as of a few days ago. Her hand stroked his head, her fingers ran through his bowl cut and her lips pressed kisses into the crown of his head.

He had never felt safer. He had never felt more torn apart. Not since leaving his dad and moving halfway across to Hawkins. He couldn't leave El. He just couldn't.

"I love you." She whispered as she gathered him into her chest and cradled him soothingly. He hiccuped and sobbed and she held him through the storms. "I love you too." He spoke through ragged breathing. His eyes itched and his cheeks were wet and damp. "And i'm sorry."

"It's okay. It's okay if Mike affects you that badly, okay? It's okay if you guys aren't friends anymore. You're my brother. I love you. Whatever happens with Mike happens but whatever happens with you can't." He hugged her back tighter, hearing her calm breathing through her thin long-sleeved flannel. "Just promise me that if you don't like anything that's happening between me and Mike, whatever it is, you have to let me know."

"Okay. I'm sorry. I was such a jerk and i didn't even tell you a single thing."

"It's okay, it's okay."

That night, he fell asleep atop her and she embraced it, the two siblings holding each other through the calm after the storm. El may not have known exactly what was going on between Will and her boyfriend, but whatever it was, she was sure that she could fix it. She was sure that she could get them to get along.

She was sure of that. She was sure of what little she knew.

__________

The next day rose and shone like a delighted child, the sun unusually bright. It seemed that the clouds had cleared away for the time being, Will was sure that they would make a comeback soon enough. The usual light mistiness that would have clung in the air and burrowed its coldness into him was not there and he found himself joyous to know that he could abandon his dark blue bomber jacket.

He crept into his mothers bedroom and smiled. She was wiped out and exhausted, rightfully so. He gently tucked her in and pushed a strand of hair out of her kind face. He then made his way to the kitchen where Hopper had already beaten him to the glass casserole dish of brownies. Hopper looked up from his newspaper, taking a sip of coffee as he did. "Morning, Will." Hopper grinned, his beard a mess around his face. Will grinned back, happy to see Hopper. "Morning." The man was already dressed in his chief uniform, the only thing missing was his hat.

"You came down here for the brownies too, huh? They're great with a glass of milk." Hopper broke the silence, already cutting the brunette a large thick piece of chocolate goodness. The teenager frowned. "I would have milk with it, but i think we ran out a few days ago. I should have gone to the store to get some, but i forgot." He lied about the forgetting part. He remembered it clearly but chose not to act on it. Now, he kind of regretted not buying the stupid carton of milk.

Hopper grunted, no smile in sight anymore, "Yeah i know, kid, i already got a carton for you on my way here." He must have came pretty early then since it was only 6.30 A.M. and the only one usually up this early was him. The bus would come in an hour, he had more than enough time to re-read a superman comic book or phone Dustin about the latest wonder woman issue. "Thanks, Hopper." And he sat down to eat.

The brownie was very promising indeed, liquid chocolate bursting forth from whatever secret spot it had been in, and coated the insides of his mouth with milk chocolatey euphoria. The brownie was moist and had bits of walnuts encrusted on the outside, his favourite kind. He couldn't believe that Joyce actually remembered. It had been years since he had last had a dessert, much less a brownie. The move to Hawkins had been incredibly costly, with them having to sell half their prized vintage furniture and most of Wills and Jonathan's trophies because of how valuable the gold and silver in them was. He didn't have much toys growing up and not much books either, but he always had a fresh hot home-cooked meal to come back home to whenever school ended, which outshone the lack of clothing, toys, and books.

Maybe today was a good day, after all. A good start.

When the bus came an hour later to fetch El and Will, the two siblings clambered on and seated themselves at the back, where a long row of connected seats could be seen clearly. It wasn't a bad seat, but Will didn't like the fact that the seats were warm, like roasted-marshmallow warm, on his clothed butt. It just felt indecently weird. But he followed El anyway because he figured that she wanted to sit with Max as well.

But when the bus arrived at Mike Wheelers house and the raven-haired boy threw a hesitant hello in his direction, it then became clear to Will that the heartthrob was seating with them. Dread laced with panic attacked his nerves in seconds. It was like being prodded with blunt knives, uncomfortable but not enough to completely freak him out.

"Hey, Will." Mike greeted as he leaned down to kiss El on the cheek. Will saw red and looked away, refusing absolutely refusing to make eye contact with the both of them. Max arrived with little fanfare with her usual red skateboard and converse sneakers, her dark blue eyes rolling as she eyed Mike's and Els over-the-top PDA.

"God, they're horrifying like that." She mock-shuddered. Will snorted and pulled out his melty cheese and tomato sandwich to share. "Thanks, i'll toss you a breakfast wrap at lunch." The redhead mumbled as she chewed happily on a bite of the delicious sandwich. On cue, Mike laughed. A throaty husky laugh that made his insides twist up into knots and his stomach acids curdle violently. He forgot just how badly he could react around Mike, how volatile his mood and body were around the raven-haired boy.

Beside him, Max clutched onto his hand and squeezed. He met her eyes through the glass, watching as they offered him all the comfort he could not ask for. He squeezed back, hoping that that was enough.

__________