𝖔𝖓𝖊. 𝖓𝖎𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖓𝖔𝖗𝖆.

"I was surprised, as always, by how easy the act of leaving was, and how good it felt. The world was suddenly rich with possibility."

A SINGLE DISAPPOINTMENT COULD NEVER exist in Eve Mariano's life; there was always a snowball effect

A SINGLE DISAPPOINTMENT COULD NEVER exist in Eve Mariano's life; there was always a snowball effect. For instance, when she was in kindergarten, her broken favorite crayon easily turned into a pathetic family portrait. Eve's boyfriend in middle school couldn't just break up with her. At least, not without immediately dating her best friend the next day. During their freshman year, Eve and her twin brother Jess didn't talk for a week after he crashed her bike. In that week, she had failed an exam, broke the E2 string on her guitar, and managed to fracture her wrist. Now, in the wake of the twins' latest fix of drama, Eve not only has to deal with saying goodbye to her home but the future of her band, Mercy Minute, too.

Jess's excessive trouble at school has broken their mom, Liz, down, and in the midst of deciding to send him to his uncle, the thought of him without his twin was enough for her to send the two of them together. Of course, packing at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday was not ideal, but the unsettling silence between the twins was the real standout of the situation.

"I can feel your guilt all the way over here, J." Eve said, with her eyes fixed on her open guitar case.

Jess glanced at her and sighed, "You don't have to pretend like I didn't mess up."

"Who said I'm pretending?" Eve snapped her case close and looked across the room. A remorseful Jess was a rare occurrence, but his sister didn't want that from him. She wanted him to move forward. Eve sighed and strode over to him.

"Look at me," she said and took his face into her hands. "You're not perfect, but Mom giving up on you will never be your fault."

"Certain things are my fault, Evie. Mercy Minute...you're letting go of your band, so you can babysit me two hours away."

"Don't worry about me."

"But the guys-"

"Screw them!" Eve exclaimed. "I was getting tired of carrying their weight anyways. It's you and me, Jess. Don't you forget it."

She gave him a pointed stare before he nodded with a dejected look in his eyes. The twins returned to their packing until eventually their bags were zipped.

"Well," Jess began. "Hopefully, you can be positive enough for the both of us."

Eve playfully rolled her eyes. "I planned on it. Now, hurry up, or we'll miss the bus."

The bus ride was peaceful. Jess's eyes were glued to his book, and Eve relished in her window seat, never taking her eyes away from the changing landscape around them. The appearance of Stars Hollow couldn't be missed, a quaint town that looked straight out of a Hallmark movie. As the bus came to a stop, the twins exited and were immediately greeted by their sheepish uncle.