II

"Joan are you okay?" Abe came walking down the hallway to Joan's locker. "We heard about your house burning down."
    "It's okay Abe," said Joan, "I don't need your pity."
    "Is it true you're living under the gym bleachers," asked Cleo mockingly.
    "And I really don't need your pity."
    Cleo kept on. "So where do we put the canned goods? Cause I brought you some beef broth. It's still good, just dented."
    Joan looked down at the dented can, then back at Cleo. "I'm a vegetarian."
    Cleo ignored her. "Here's a musty old Hypercolor shirt I found in our dust rag drawer. I know it's out of style but, you poor people don't care about that sort of thing, right?" She flashed a fake smile.
    "I'll can you good I will!" Joan moved her arm back as if to throw the can at Cleo.
    "Girls, girls, please! You know how I feel about conflict. I'm against it!" Abe smashed his fist against the palm of his other hand. "Now, I love you both, one in a completely platonic way the other with a fiery passion that most people know but once in a lifetime; by the way that one's not you Joan it's Cleo." He took Cleo on his arm. "Well, I'm glad we had this talk. Now let's never speak of this again."

    "Mhm, Joan your friends sure are generous."
    "Wait, Cleo is not my friend," Joan walked closer to Toots. "That hoebag is just pretending to care to make me feel worse about being homeless!"
    "Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore Joanie! Cause I found us a big ol' house to live in!"
    "Really?"
    "Yes! The Flynn's have been nice enough to let us stay at their house. They have a son about your age."
The Flynn's, thought Joan, Oh no!
    She would be moving in with JFK!
    "Now, we're gonna go get your car and head on to that new house of ours Joanie!"

I hate this but???? grrrrr i love the au concept so i'm gonna keep writing.