lovebug's jar of hearts

Chapter Four:
love bug's jar of hearts

—————

When Percy met Mia for the first time, she was wearing blue and in that moment, Percy decided blue was always going to be his favourite colour forever when he felt his throat close. It was rather cliché how he lost his breath at the sight of her however, she was an Aphrodite kid through and through; beautiful even at the age of twelve, amokinesis lingering at her fingertips, charm-speak dripping from each word. Most children of Aphrodite turn off their abilities for daily tasks but Drew and Mia didn't— Mia had difficulty doing so and Drew refused to let her sister be seen as a freak for not being able to act 'normal'— which meant they were constantly together to avoid affecting someone.

Although when Percy stumbled out of the camp infirmary after somehow managing to defeat a minotaur with no training, eyes wide with an ocean of tears, Mia moved away from Drew, nodding to Chiron as she approached the panicked boy. Her green eyes were startling— a forest, peridot shade with a shine of opalescence, but he couldn't look away.

She grinned at him, hand reaching up to touch his arm briefly. "Hey, I'm Mia. Do you know where you are?"

Percy nodded foolishly, words spilling off his tongue instinctively. "Camp Half Blood, but why? Why am I here? What is this place?" he questioned, tone becoming more frantic as he looked around wildly for an inkling of recognition, he found none except for the calming sparkle in her eyes.

She slowly turned back to her sister and Chiron, nodding purposefully, hand wrapping around Percy's wrist as she tugged him away from the crowds, a small smile tugging at her lips as he followed her willingly. When she came to a stop, Percy was even more confused. But clearly, Mia could sense this as she sent him a reassuring smile. "Now, now, it's okay. Can you tell me your name?" she hummed, voice saccharine smooth.

"Percy. Percy Jackson."

Her grin widened. "Hi Percy. You're here because you're a demi-god, that means you have one mortal parent, and one divine parent like Hermes or Ares or Athena—"

Percy's brows furrowed: "Who's yours? Who's your divine parent?"

She simply giggled at his interruption— "Aphrodite, but I suppose it's rather obvious," she shrugged, ignoring the way his eyes widened drastically and his face flushed. Her eyes darted around the secluded area she'd dragged him to before huffing gently. "I'm sorry for this Percy, I really am, it's just that, well, I have no other option. Your scared and anxious and that potentially makes you volatile. This is to help you," she whispered, face looming closer to Percy's, lips pressing a featherweight kiss on his cheek. Then she drew back harshly and gave him a sugary smile, eyes sparkling a bright pink shade, hands twitching.

Suddenly, Percy felt too far away from her so sidled closer, hands reaching out to hold her close, sea-green eyes tearing up as she stepped away. "Come on Percy," she hummed softly, making her way back to Chiron, "follow me, yeah?"

The boy followed eagerly, hands occupied with playing with his navy t-shirt instead of holding her hand like he wanted to.

When Chiron saw the guilty look on Mia's face as they approached him, he frowned. "Percy, I hope you can understand the measures we had to take. Many new arrivals can become extremely violent when scared, completely unintentional, but still something we wish to avoid, especially with demigods who arrive after sustaining an injury. This is just a necessary precaution," he said plainly, ignoring how Percy was making heart-eyes at Mia's figure now wrapped up in Drew's arms.

Mia had been chosen by Chiron to keep the powerful half-blood arrivals placid— by using her amokineses (something she'd been working on to counterbalance the anger) and charm-speak, they'd trust her wholeheartedly so would follow everything she did for a while, though, unfortunately, most of her 'victims' fell in love with her, as Percy had, so would follow her out of adoration rather than trust (she hadn't perfected it just yet).