12.

"What kind of favor?" You asked, leaning against the cool wall.

"It's Fury, you were right. He came to my hotel room, said some stuff about Mysterio. I know you and I haven't talked in a while, but you're the only one I trust—"

"Whatever you need, Peter. We aren't enemies."

He looked at you with those big pure eyes and you couldn't help but feel a tug in your whole body towards him.

He gave a quick sigh of relief. "Thank you...really."

You nodded and waited for him to tell you his peculiar, top-secret task.

"Fury wouldn't give me any details, really, but he wants to keep you out of it all...you know, for Mr. Stark's sake—but I need you to cover for me. If I go missing, I got lost, okay? And if they try to call Aunt May you tell them I wasn't feeling well and I'll meet up with them soon, promise? If any of this gets out, I could get in big trouble, and people could get hurt—"

"I'll cover for you, but...Pete..r," you quickly corrected yourself, "this seems really dangerous—"

"There's no one else who can help, I—I wish things were different, y/n. I really do, but...they aren't. And if I hadn't ignored Fury the first time, I could've stopped that monster earlier..."

He sighed, and you placed a hand on his shoulder slowly, waiting for him to back away. You hadn't even meant to touch him; it had happened so suddenly. But now that his warmth was spreading to you, you almost couldn't bear to let go.

"If things get bad, can you promise to call me? I couldn't...if you..."

"I know," he nodded, and you removed your hand. "I'll do my best, I mean...I have to, right?"

"Just help Fury with whatever he needs, and then...well, you can enjoy the rest of our vacation, yeah?"

He nodded, and you both returned to the main group. It was shitty advice, but it was the best you had. Fury was more demanding and true to his word than your father, and if you tried to interrupt and be the hero with him, things could go seriously wrong.

"Hey, everything okay? I saw you talking to Peter," said Sam.

"Yeah, he just wanted to clear some things up, but...we're good, thanks."

You chatted some more with her until the boat to take you back to the hotel arrived, and you let the quiet waves and cool night clear your mind.

***

"So, change of plans!" Announced Mr. Dell, waving a big stack of papers around. "We're going to Prague!"

"Prague?" you said quietly to yourself, thinking of what Peter had said. You wished he would've told you more, even against Fury's orders. Being out of the loop was new to you, and it was making you anxious.

You found Peter in the group, his eyes wide like he had just figured out something terrible. You wanted to know more, but you knew Peter probably didn't want to talk to you.

"I don't care where we go, as long as we don't run into anymore monsters," said Sam, and you gave her the best smile you could muster.

"Y/n?" you heard, and you turned around. Peter had moved quickly in those few seconds, and now he was beside you. "I need to talk to you again."

Sam gave you both a questioning look but let you go anyways. You followed Peter to a safe few yards away where no one could hear what he was saying.

"I think the next threat is in Prague, whatever it is. Fury already told me he'd be 'working his magic' on the tour...God, why did he have to—and how my friends are involved—"