04. holiday house

They picked out a home and called it "Holiday House"

Este's eyes shot open when she heard the tapping of a sound in the room across from hers. Now Estella wasn't one to fret over random sounds throughout the house but she couldn't help but feel this sense of fear wash over her.

She peered over at Henry who was sleeping soundly, releasing light snores. She debated whether or not she should wake her husband up, if she didn't get to sleep neither did he. Shaking Henry awake, she whispered in his ear, "Henry wake up!"

Henry nearly toppled over the bed from all the pushing. "What is it darling?" He asked with a sleepy voice. A yawn overcame him and he squinted in Estella's direction. "There's some sort of noise coming from the hallway, I need you to go see what it is," Este explained.

Henry stared at his wife in disbelief. Ruining his sleep because there was an unknown noise in the hallway?

Henry glanced at Estella's pointed expression and obliged before he got told off. Removing the covers off of him, Henry's feet landed on the creaky floor.

He exited the room to peer into the hallway, scanning his surroundings for the source of the sound. Henry looked up and examined the ceiling. There appeared to be a leak in the ceiling, and it was slowly increasing in size. "Damn it," Henry muttered under his breath. He had spent a large amount of money doing renovations to this house.

"Estella, there seems to be a few leaks in the ceiling," Henry called out to his half-asleep wife. Este followed Henry out into the hallway to get a look at the leaks. She groaned at the sight of the little holes.

""Didn't you just do the renovations?" Este inquired, eyes still glued to the leak. Henry nodded in confirmation. "I did, it's not just the renovations darling, the house is getting old," Henry stated softly, he knew how much the house meant to Este.

The couple had been living in Este's family's vacation home for the majority of their marriage. Although her family had rarely taken vacations together, this house still held a special part of Estella's heart and it pained her to think about letting the house go.

Seeing the sullen emotion on his wife's face, Henry grasped Este's hands. "Come on, let's go out for breakfast and take a walk along the beach." Este obliged, following her beloved downstairs.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

"4 million?" Henry repeated. The salesman nodded eagerly, waiting for Henry's response. Ever since their encounter with the leaks at home, Henry had been looking for a new home for the couple to move into. The only requirement was the location on the coastline, Estella adored taking long strolls along the coast.

He'd managed to find one close to what he envisioned. It was an extremely large colonial mansion, with a gorgeous view of the coastline. He sighed and imagined Estella's reaction towards the new house, he knew she would love it. It was very similar to their current house.

There was something charming about this house, Henry couldn't quite put his finger on it. It was well worth the money which wouldn't put a dent in Henry's wallet. After all, he is the heir of Standard Oil.

"Well, I'll take it," Henry decided. The salesman happily shook his hand and gave him the papers for the house. "Feel free to move in as you please. It was nice doing business with you Mr. Hale." Henry nodded in appreciation and made his way to his car.

Still on the road, Henry spotted Estella walking along the path of the shops. This was the perfect moment to surprise her with the house. "Estella!" Henry called out his window. Estella looked around, trying to find out who called her name.

Her bright brown eyes finally landed on Henry. A small smile creeped up her face as she walked towards her husband's car. Henry took Estella's hand in his and pressed a light kiss on it. The mere action was enough to drive Este mad.

"Come in love, I have something to show you." Estella, puzzled, entered Henry's car. He began to drive down the long road, upto the coast. "Close your eyes for me darling," Henry told Este as they were nearing the new house.

"You're not planning to kill me are you?" Este teased. Henry shook his head and smiled at his wife's question. "No my love, I would miss your headstrong self immensely," He breathed out. Pulling up into the driveway, Henry finally parked the car and opened his door.

He helped Este out of the car since her eyes were closed. He took a deep breath and brought her out, facing the front of the house. "Can I open my eyes now Henry?" She questioned with an eager tone.

"Open your eyes Estella."

Estella dropped her hands from her face and in front of her was an enormous house. Her eyes widened and she covered her gaping mouth with a hand. The house was a crisp white with a gorgeous black roof. It has a charming view of the ocean.

She looked back at Henry who was smiling ear to ear. She didn't have the words to voice her surprise, instead she pointed at the house.

"It's ours Estella, welcome to Holiday House," Henry stated with a gleaming smile. 

author's note

hello! i am so sorry for the lack of updates, i had lost power due to the storm in tx and i was a bit occupied with school work! the last great american dynasty will be done within a week or two and then we're onto no body, no crime! 

chapter 5 will be out later this week!