The eyes of an Angel

“Amy!” Rory cried as he swung round to help his wife, “Hold on!” He panicked at the sight of her knuckles turning white and her hands slowly slipping on the wet ground.

“I’m hardly going to let go am I?” she replied, “But don’t worry about me for the moment, if the angels get here we’re both dead.” Rory’s eyes widened as he remembered the statues then hesitated for a moment, trying to decide whether or not to help Amy. “Go!” She ordered and he finally turned to face the Angels again. He had not been looking for less than half a minute but already the angels had moved to within a couple of meters of him.

“Are you ok?” He worriedly asked, it felt so wrong for him to be standing idle while Amy was hanging from a cliff.

“I’m fine!” Amy lied, “Just concentrate on the Angels.” She grabbed helplessly at the ground above her, but the rain had softened the dirt making it hard to get a good enough grip to pull herself up. She silently started to panic and began to kick her legs against the face of the cliff, trying to find a foothold, but it was perfectly smooth. With one hand she felt around on the surface, helplessly clinging on with the other, and tried to find something solid to hold onto. Suddenly her hand hit against a rock and she grabbed onto it, praying that it would stay in the ground long enough for her to climb up, happily it seemed firmly stuck. She started to pull herself up and finally managed to get back onto solid ground. She laid facing up to the sky, panting with relief.

Rory turned to face her again and his face broke into a smile, “Are you ok?”

Amy ignored his question simply answering, “Angels, now.” He swung round again and continued to stare at the Angels, they had gotten closer again but he stared them strait in the eyes, as if daring them to come any closer.

“Five.”

“What did you say?” Amy suddenly questioned, sitting up and staring at him.

“Nothing,” Rory replied frowning, “I didn’t say anything.”

Amy started to worry; she really hoped she was imagining things. She stood up and walked over to him, he looked fine. “Rory are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah fine, why?”

“Doesn’t matter.” She muttered, telling herself she probably just imagined it.

Rory rolled his eyes “Four.” He whispered. Amy froze and dread passed through her. He had definitely said four, her mind flashed back to the first time she had met the Angels. If Rory was counting down that could only mean one thing.

“Rory have you been looking at the Angel’s eyes?”

“Well, yeah I guess.” He replied, and then saw the shocked expression on Amy’s face, “Why? Was I not supposed to?” He questioned, “Three.” He added, without a thought, then frowned.

“Close your eyes.” Amy ordered, sounding scared.

“Why? What’s wrong with looking at the eyes of an angel?” He kept his eyes on them, as if looking for an answer. Suddenly he fell to the ground and his breathing became shallow. “What’s happening?” He whispered, shocked.

“W-when you look into the eyes of an Angel, t-they climb inside your head and take over.” She tried to explain, stuttering on some words in her hurry, “Rory please just close your eyes, that’s the only way to stop them!” She wanted to kneel on the floor and help him but if she did the Angels would have gotten them both.

“Two” Rory spat out the word as if it were choking him, “Amy I can’t, I really can’t.” He whispered, not strong enough to talk any louder.

“Please Rory! You have to, I know it’s hard, but you have to! I don’t want to lose you again!” Tears ran down her face, she so badly wanted to turn and help him.

“What’s going to happen to me?”

“Nothing, if you just close your eyes.”

“Amy, I need to know. What’s going to happen?”

“The Angel inside your head is going to kill you, and then it will climb out and become just as dangerous as a real Angel.” She explained “The only way to stop it is to close your eyes and stop the image.”

“I can’t. I’m so sorry, I just can’t. My eyes won’t close, it’s stronger than me.” His breathing slowed and the faint image of an Angel started to appear in front of him and Amy. “One.” He whispered.

“Come on Rory! Do it for me.” Amy couldn’t take it anymore; she turned away from the Angels and knelt down next to Rory. Suddenly she thought of something, and cursed herself for not thinking of it before. She reached out a hand to cover his eyes but something grabbed both her arms before she could. She turned her head and met the eyes of an Angel and its smiling face. She froze for a moment but her eyes drifted back to Rory, he stared back her in horror and sadness, the Angel in his mind had gone from being a faded shape to a nearly solid Angel standing in front of them. Thunder boomed loudly overhead and the rain continued to pour, making it hard for Amy to tell if the water running down her face was just rain, or if it were tears.

“I can’t hold on.” The noise of the storm seemed at fade when Rory talked, as if it wanted Amy to be able to hear. “I…” He breathed, but didn’t finish his sentence; his Angel was now completely solid.

“No!” Amy screamed struggling to get away from the Angel that held her back, but it was too late.

The rain poured harder and the thunder boomed louder as Amy’s heart, not for the first time, broke into a million pieces. Finally she managed to pull herself out of the Angels grip and moved closer to Rory, trying to wake him. After what seemed, to Amy a century, she gave up. Rory was gone.