Chapter One - Disturbing the Peace

FA 5
­útharían P.O.V

The sun cast its golden rays through the thick leaves of the trees in the forest. The soft rippling of the stream is soothing and peaceful. I love this time of year in Lothlorien. I grew up here and although I often long to see the outside world, my heart is always the calmest here. Here among the tall trees and the soft whisper of wind from time to time. I have ventured away for many an adventure in my time, and despite longing home when the journeys approach their ends I quickly find myself unsatisfied here in Lothlorien. My heart is the calmest here, but it is in no way satisfied here. There is still an unsettling emptiness that I can't seem to shake off no matter where I go. ­útharían. My mother's voice in my head interrupts my thoughts. Come. I can't help but sigh, slightly disappointed that I have to leave my little oasis. I slowly get up and walk towards the heart of the forest, where I know my mother will be. My bare feet sink into the soft grass, it is now colder than it was as the sun has been setting and, is no longer high enough to casts its rays through the thick leaves of the forest. The long sky blue colored dress trailes slightly behind me, created a rustling sound that soon was the only thing I could hear. Soon I could see the enormous staircase that led up the tree in the midst of the forest. Elves greeted me as I walked up the stairs. As I reached the top I saw my mother Galadriel and father Celeborn. "There you are my child". "What is the matter ada?" "We are departing for Mirkwood tomorrow. King Thranduil has invited us to the feast of starlight celebration". He tells me in his usually calm and somewhat stoic tone, and I can't help but be taken by surprise. "The feast of starlight? And by we I assume that includes me to?" My mother nods: "That's right, this year the invitation includes you my dear." My mother's confirmation of my question only confuses me further. The elven kingdom has been celebrating the feast of starlight for thousands of years. And I have not been included on the guestlist for a very, very long time. My parents have been, on multiple occasions, myself I however have not been once in the last eighty years. "We leave at dawn." I nod and head toward my room to pick out my dresses for the feast. Walking through the corridor I can't help but wonder if Legolas is the one to blame for this. I don't think Thranduil would wish to see me again after the trouble I caused during the battle of Erebor eighty years ago. I shake my head silently, dreading the meeting I have avoided for the past years. I reach my door and enter my room while silently wishing that this could be avoided.

***

Early the next day I mounted my white steed Gilith. I had named her after the stars because she was born on a night where the stars were brighter than they had been for over a thousand years. It also happened to be the first night we meet. I feel something running down my cheek, and realize that I am crying. I quickly dry my tear 'Stop crying L­­útharían, it's no use. What happened, happened. There is no going back. At least I was honest with myself.­­' "Sevig Chûr? (Are you ready?)" My mother asks me with a slightly worried look, and I can do nothing but nod. I have to be ready, but thankfully I have a few days to get accustomed to the thought of seing him again.

***

Many, many hours later my father commands a break. I dismount Gilith and sit down with my back against a tree, letting out a sight I did not know I was holding. I could hear mother approach me and I silently wish she would not. "What is the matter my child? Do you not wish to attend?" I shake my head, thankful that I have learned to close my mind from her. "It's nothing, I am just not used to traveling anymore". She looks at me with a look that tells me she does not buy my lie and I am for a moment vary that she will keep prying. Instead, she looks at me: "Avo drasto (Don't worry). I am sure it will be okay" I nod, opening my mind for her, 'I really hope you are right'. Her expression is unreadable and being too tired to try and figure it out I move my attention to the landscape. We have arrived at the Glodden fields, and are following the forest line up to the entrance most commonly used to enter the woodland kingdom. It is a beautiful place and I have been traveling here many times. Behind me I have the big dark green forest, and in front of me I can see the misty mountains towering high above the waste green field. But despite the beauty in front of me I am weary and my heart is heavy with worry and dread. And yet, a small part of me is hopeful, hopeful that maybe this can change something. Just maybe.