Chapter 2

•2•

"Yo, you good?" Quincy asked putting his hand on my back.

"Yes, I'm fine," I said moving from under his hand.

I was lying. Besides almost dying, here was my annoying neighbor standing in front of me looking like a god damn Michael B. Jordan.

"Nah, you weren't good," Julian said. "You embarrassing yourself sis-in-law. And I'm trying to help you find a man."

I stood up straight giving Julian a stale face. Help me find a man?

"Come on Julian, let's go over here to see something," Liv said ushering him away from the potential crime scene.

"So this is awkward," Quincy said.

"No it's not Quincy."

He came and stood next to me as we watched my sister, Elaina, crown the winner of the baby shower game. Julian brought the prize over to them.

"You made me lose the game." I rolled my eyes.

Mr. Sweet Talker turned to me then nudged me with his elbow smiling.

"Don't let those skills go to waste though. Everything except the last part looked good. Didn't know you got it like that."

He winked laughing.

"Shut up Quincy."

I walked off in search of Liv.

"I was just playing with you! What's up? You always got an attitude with me and shit!"

He followed me through the crowd of people.

"No, I don't, you're just annoying!"

"How am I annoying?"

I stopped all of a sudden and turned to face him with my arms folded.

"Because you think the whole world resolves around you! Surprise surprise, it doesn't!"

After saying my piece, I started walking again searching for Liv and he was still following me.

"Woah, woah, where did that come from?"

It came from all the times he tried to smooth talk me in the hallway and the elevator and the way he flirted with every single girl in the apartment. This was for all the guys I've ever dated that did the same thing and fucked me over.

"What's my name then?" I asked him.

"Umm, K-Karen?"

"Leave the fuck alone. I know how guys like you are! You're full of shit Quincy! You use people. Stop following me."

He stopped and stood in place like his feet were cemented to the floor.

"There you are Liv," I said finding my best friend. "You got the shots?"

"I do. Let's go to the next game."

Before we left the room to go to the game in the backyard, I turned back and I saw him just standing there still. He was staring at nothing.

Julian then went over to him and shortly after talking, they went upstairs with the other men. I felt bad for what I said, but he had to hear it from someone.

"What did he say to you?" Liv asked once we got out to the back.

We stood with the other women while my sister explained the game.

"Just something about my sucking technique." I twisted my mouth to the side.

"He seems like you said he was, but...he's still so fine. Especially in person."