Chapter 3

Karter
•3•

I laid on my bed looking out of the window thinking about everything that's been going on in my life right now. It was Sunday during the day and my siblings and Liv came over to check in on me. Liv had just left out to go run some errands, then she was going to be back for movies later. I couldn't be more grateful to have them around.

"You okay Karter?" Elaina asked walking into my bedroom with a mug of hot cocoa.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

She sat on my bed and rubbed my arm as she handed me the red mug. I thanked her. My sister had light skin and her hair was straightened. She was almost ready to have this baby. It was a baby girl; my first time being an aunty and I was excited for it. Elaina worked as a banker downtown and she's been doing it since she graduated from college in '10.

The night before was one of the worse days of this year for me. My pops showed up and started acting a fool in front of everyone. He didn't only call me a hoe in front of my friends and family, but he also did it in front of Quincy.

"Well, I'm glad you're good. Pops was just doing too much honestly. He almost sent my friggin' blood pressure up."

I chuckled slightly sipping on my cocoa.

"He's a trip. I want to try with him and include him more, but he's out of my control."

"Girl, you don't even have to worry about him. The way he talked to you yesterday, plus him wanting to hit you. I-I was so furious. After you left he said what he had to say to me and I kicked him out of my house."

"You did?"

My eyes opened widely. I stirred my hot drink listening to Elaina.

"Yeah, I did. No way is he going to come up in my house and talk to my sister like that and bring all that trauma back into your life and our lives."

I stopped stirring and stared outside. Growing up, our father was always drinking. There were times when he'd abuse us; physically and verbally. He was more abusive to me because while my brother Lopez and sister Elaina had the same mother, I was the only daughter who was a product of an affair that he had during his marriage with their mom. He regretted what happened and he blamed me for the divorce the occurred after.

When I was 11, I moved in with our dad and his new wife at the time. She was a step mother to my siblings and me and while she wasn't the best mother, she tried the best she could with whatever she was given. It took us years to work through the trauma that he caused us.

Last night, I got a panic attack in bed thinking about all the problems he put us through and all the times he slapped me across my face.

Thank God for what I learned in therapy to help with those feelings. I've been using it over the years to heal.

"Again I'm sorry that happened to you Karter. And we're all gonna make sure that it doesn't happen again."

"Thanks, E."

My sister and I hugged.

"Enough about dad, Julian told me he introduced you to Quincy. How was it?"

I rolled my eyes trying not to blush. Why was I even blushing?

"I knew Quincy from before. He's my neighbor."

"Really? Julian told me that he lived in this apartment, but I didn't know he was your neighbor. I see why he was trying to hook you guys up now..."

"Well no. Your husband said he's trying to find me a man."

Elaina busted out laughing.

"Julian is too much!"

"I don't get why he's in my love life though."

She pursed her lips and twisted her mouth to the side looking like she was guilty.

"What did you do E?"

"Well, I might have shared some stuff you told me on accident."

"On accident!? How did you share stuff I said on accident? What did you tell him?"

"I told him that you were still single which we all know and that you say you're not trying to be in a committed relationship right now, but you sometimes really wish you had someone to share memories with and to be with. Sorry."

"Elaina!"

"I'm sorry. It just slipped. I promise I won't say anything to him again about it."

I sighed.

"It's fine. Now I know why he was trying to hook me up with Quincy and why he said that."

My sister started smiling mischievously. She was so excited.

"You didn't answer my question though. How was it talking to Quincy?"

"He's, how do I say this. But, basically he's a hoe."

Elaina scrunched her forehead.

"What do you mean? He's single right?"

"Yes he is, but he's always flirting with a thousand different girls and he has women over at his place all the time. I can't stand him."

"Huh? Karter, do you hear yourself? Don't you have guys over at your place sometimes too giving you dick on demand. Why is what he's doing any different from what you're doing if he's single?"

She had a point for a minute.

"I see what you mean, but it's not the same. You know guys like him Elaina. The guys who sweet talks girls out of their draws and drop them right after. Like in high school and college. He's one of them."

I finished up my hot cocoa.

"Hmm, it sounds to me like you're judging him too soon based off of a few interactions he's had with other women Karter. Do you know he finished with honors at the college the college that Julian and him went to in Miami? And that he's actually a relationship guy?"

My mouth dropped.

"Oh, shit no. That's really good for him and I didn't know that last part. Wow. I probably should have talked to him first before judging him."

"Exactly. And for the record, I don't know if any of what I just said was true. I just made them up to make a point."

She smiled.

"Elaina!"

I cracked up.

"It worked though!"

A knock then came on my bedroom door.

"Come in!"

"I heard you guys talking and I didn't want to interrupt. I heard a knock at your front door and I went out to check it and saw this there. You ordered something?" Lopez said.

"No, I didn't."

I placed my mug on my side table and walked over to Lopez to collect the package. When I flipped it over, I saw a little tag hanging off of the box. Elaina stood up and walked to see what it was.

From: Your annoying ass neighbor
To: Karter not Karen

I'm sorry about what happened that night and if I came off too strong and bothered you. I couldn't stand to see your pops talk to you like that. You deserve more than that. Hope you feel better and that you can forgive me.

"Who's it from?" Elaina asked resting her hand on her baby bump.

"It's from Quincy."

"Oh, that's unexpected."

I opened the package and it was a little teddy bear with a "Hope you feel better soon" tag attached to it. A smile came to my face.

"Aww. That's really sweet of him," Elaina said.

"It really is..."