thirty four

Something screamed irritatingly from the door. Billie bolted from the couch, quite tragically plummeting to the floor from shock. She groaned out in pain, cradling her forehead and trying to recover.

It took her a long second to come to her senses and realise that the loud noises were actually knocks. Billie crawled to her feet, massaging her temple from both the hit and the killer hangover that never seemed to go away.

She pulled open the door groggily, rubbing her eyes as she did so. She suspected maybe it was Georgie, having forgotten her keys or something, but when the blurriness cleared from her vision, Billie stood face to face with empty air.

Her head fell tiredly backwards and her eyes closed. She was not in the mood for games so early. As she moved to slam the door shut again, Billie caught eyes with a package on the old doormat.

She stopped the closing door with her foot, opening it a little wider and bending down to pick up the royal blue box.

Billie frowned in confusion as her eyes glossed over the ornate script reading 'Billie Harper' on an envelope laying on top of the box. The clairvoyant poked her head out the door again, looking down the corridor either way with squinted eyes that weren't entirely clear yet.

Harper carried the box to the kitchen counter, sitting heavily on the stool and laying the package over the marble. She used her nails to slice open the paper, eagerly reading it's contents.

An invitation? She recognised the address, but it took her a second longer to recognise that the Mikaelsons were actually the Originals. Billie had never been to a ball before. She wasn't one to attend such haughty events... not that she'd ever been invited in the first place.

She cast aside the invitation, turning her attention to the mysterious package. Billie pulled off the lid, throwing all the extra paper packaging into it to reveal one of the prettiest pieces of clothing Harper had ever seen.

A light gasp left her throat as she pulled it further out of it's box. 

The deep azure satin slid along her skin like running water as Billie stood tall, laying the intricate ball gown against her figure. She'd never been much of a girly girl. It had been her mission as a child not to be one, hence the initial obsession with the colour blue. Until one day, it just became embedded into her being. 

Billie's younger self would have been disgusted to see her now, twirling and curtseying in a dress probably worth more than her life.

It had a double layered skirt, embroidered in lavish and intricate designs of rooted silver and laced see-through sleeves. The sleeveless sweetheart neckline worried Billie a little, only under the inhibition that she didn't normally show so much.

Finally taking a deep and calming breath, Billie put the dress down with a soft smile. She presumed that it was Klaus that had sent her the delicacy, knowing that she wouldn't have anything to wear to such a fancy event.

Billie grabbed the invitation from where she'd cast it aside and turned to look at the back in case she'd missed something, discovering a note.

A pretty dress for a pretty girl. 
Save me a dance tonight
-K 

Billie read the words with a roll of her eyes and a cute smile. Klaus really could be quite charming when he wanted to be, although she was sure he had a thing for Caroline, it was a nice note to get on a shitty Saturday morning.

Although, Billie had to admit, she wasn't all in the mood to go to any sort of event that day. To her understanding, all the Originals were now up and breathing, meaning trouble surely wasn't far behind them. She wasn't particularly ready for a night as the designated supernatural warning alarm.