☆ Chapter Thirty: Band on the Run

SONG: Band on the Run by Paul McCartney & Wings 

"I wouldn't ask too much of her," I ventured.
"You can't repeat the past."
"Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously.
"Why of course you can!"

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

CHAPTER THIRTY.      BAND ON THE RUN

      Mark's the love of her life.

      No doubt about it.

      But comedy...comedy is a close second.

      "I grew up in a large family. I'm the third oldest out of six. But I've always been very sure of the fact that I don't want children of my own." Valerie spoke into her microphone, caressing it as she leisured around the rim of the stage. "I'm at an age where most people I know have children; and every single time I mention my incredible lack of desire for kids, they act like I just revealed I'm the one who shot President McKinley."

      "They're always like, 'What  Valerie, no!'" She exaggerated greatly, raising the pitch of her tone. "'Why would you not want kids? Children are a miracle! It's an amazing thing. Once you have one of your own, it's not about you anymore  it's about them."

      "And I'm over here like...'And why would I want that?'"

      The audience collectively laughed. Every time people reacted, the interior of The Gaslight lounge grew brighter and brighter. It was almost like it was its own floating world.

      "Listen, to be honest, it's never the kids I have a problem with, it's the parents!" The blonde strongly affirmed, swinging the thick cord of the microphone around her legs so it wouldn't get trampled underneath her flats. "Parents are the most irritating breed of adult. First of all, is everyone's kid fantastic nowadays?"