44~ 'An aunts wisdom'

The Okinawa trip is approaching.

Amongst many back and forth visits to the hospital and altering shifts with your aunt, you heard that a few of your classmates went going bug hunting in hopes of snagging some extra cash to spend on the trip.

In fact, you've been using the beginning of the summer holidays to heavily debate whether or not you should really be going considering all that's happening. Uncertainty is still in the air. But all the hard work gone into an oncoming assassination plan is resulting in guilt. The guilt of the possibility of not being able to help out.

During the week before the trip, the entire class returned to the school to train for the newest upcoming assassination. Lovro's input is to thank.

Since you're constantly slipping from one location to another, Rio and a couple others have been helpful enough to fill you in on any missed details, at the same time raising the odd question wondering if everything alright with you since that outburst with Karma the other week. They had brought up Karma being rather withdrawn lately, since your unpleasant exchange. You shake it off, putting it down to stubbornness.

---

A lot has been up in the air lately. It's like never-ending anticipation for anything to happen.

The cooling evening's breeze lifts your hair as you change the flowers by the window. Your mum's room seems like it's becoming a temporary home for two people at the moment, hence the effort from your aunt and you to make it look slightly more homely. A rather asinine attempt when you think about it, making a psych room more comfortable, like that would ever remove the unmistakable reason she's being 'observed' here for so long.

Soft scratches come from your aunt's seat. The sound draws you away from the window, pushing off and throwing her a questioning gaze.

"Your mum always loved carving these characters when we were young." She says, carving the moulded palm-sized sculpture in her hand.

With a hint of intrigue, you sit on the arm adjacent.

"A/n?"

She glances briefly at you, not stopping with the clipping of the wood. "Hm?"

"I realise this might be stupid to bring up, and I totally understand that it's probably a definite no, but..."

Amidst your awkward rambling, she exhales sharply, gaging at what your subconscious really wants. "Good grief child just say it already."

...

You laugh suddenly.

This woman is a saint.

"The Okinawa trip, that's what I wanted to talk about."

"Don't let that bastard take these years from you Y/n."

"But A-A/n- wouldn't going to Okinawa be reckless? I'm basically asking for-"

"For what? For him to make an appearance on a separated island where your escape is blocked?"

You blink rapidly, brain struggling to catch up at how calm she said that. Do you also detect amusement in her tone?

"Y/n there's no guarantee you're entirely safe here either. My advice for you kid is to go out and enjoy yourself before things get truly bad. Don't push people away..."

Her words sink in after a moment. Your shoulder sag, smiling lowly as you put together some hidden meanings to that.

"I was too abrupt, wasn't I?"

"I don't know what you mean~" She feigns innocent, humming innocently.

"Mhm, sure."

"If you're asking whether or not this little fight between you and Karma is silly, I can't answer that."