Chapter 1

Harry lay whimpering as he curled in the dark, blood slowly dripping down his back, agony to the open oozing fissures. They burnt, and in the corner of his mind, he knew they were infected, but he also knew that no one would clean them. They didn't care if it killed him, and he would be left, here in the dark for days. He knew this just as he knew why this happened. You may think he must have been attacked. For those of you who know Harry's story, you would think Death Eaters had captured him. You'd be wrong.If that was the case, this would not be how Harry Potter would die. He would die with dignity, killed on a battlefield surrounded by the dead and the dying, with the scent of blood in his nose as he locked eyes with his end. But no. Instead, Harry Potter believed he would die slowly from infection and thirst and hunger, rather than a big green light. He would die weak and helpless because of another's fear. No great battle where everything is at stake. Simply the hatred his family held for him. This is how it ends.

Now, I know how this seems. The end of everything as you know it. A short and cruel tale of abuse and death, where Harry Potter dies and the world falls into the hands of a madman. This, however, is not true. You see, there is a secret about our sweet Harry that has been kept from many. He is not a Half-blood. Lily Evans was an extraordinary young witch, descended from a long line of squibs of the pureblood Evans line. As such, she received the long forgotten family magics, as did young Harry. Shadow magic.

This branch of magic has been forbidden since the founders time, deemed too powerful and uncontrollable to be wielded by anyone. However, those born with an innate predisposition have control. These wizards and witches are known as shadow mages. They were believed to have died out years ago, from the ministry's persecution. Despised by the light, and revered by the dark, shadow mages must hide from hatred and corruption if they are to survive. Now Harry has a choice to make.