part 1 | partners

I remember the first time we met; it was a beautiful autumn afternoon

I remember the first time we met; it was a beautiful autumn afternoon. The cold air sent a shiver down my spine when I got out of my parents' car. Mr. Sakil, our future coach, had arranged for us to grab a hot chocolate with him the day before practice started.

"Be a good girl, honey," my dad said, kissing me on the forehead.

I didn't know a single thing about you, not even your name. I was curious, I've got to admit. I had heard my mother talk with the neighbor about a new family settling down a few doors down; I didn't know that was you.

You had arrived first, as always. You hated tardiness, though you learned to let loose every time I was late to practice.

You didn't acknowledge me at first. I could tell you didn't want to be here; you wore a frown the entire time Coach told us the basics of having a partner in figure skating. Being a good listener, having the willingness to try new things, communication, trust.

Finally, I learned your name. "Adonis Wong," you had greeted.

I offered a polite nod, "Phoenix Stellar."

Coach made us shake hands; yours was warm and calloused, mine was cold and soft. I remember it as if it was yesterday; you lifted your gaze to meet mine. Your eyes glimmered with excitement and, you gave me a boyish smile; it was the biggest smile ever that both of your dimples showed.

We were both inseparable until our senior year in high school. We never knew how to deal with our problems; they began to interfere with our skating, maybe even our friendship.

We were young, naive, and stupid. After all, we met when we were both eight, a couple of young skaters that dreamt of going to the Olympics.

"I made hoodies" -Mr. Sakil passed one for each one of us- "Team Stellar-Wong for the win."

Just like that, we became partners for thirteen years.

───※ ·❆· ※───

thoughts?
don't forget to comment and vote.