part 4 | strangers

I remember the last time I saw you; it was a cold winter night

I remember the last time I saw you; it was a cold winter night. Just days ago, the first snow of the year fell from the sky.

It was nearly midnight when you texted me to see if I was awake. I was, you knew I couldn't sleep the night before a big competition.

Some minutes later, the doorbell rang. You stood there, looking troubled. Your eyes that used to glimmer every time you saw me were dark.

Nobody was home, so I invited you in to talk.

An awkward silence filled the living room. I didn't know why you were here, but I felt something was off.

You seemed tense as if you carried a million things on your back.

After some uncomfortable minutes, you muttered, "That's it. We're over."

I laughed because I thought you were joking. But judging from the serious expression on your face, you were not. I sobered up quickly.

"What do you mean we are over?" I asked, my voice soft.

Taking a breath, you said, "I can't be your partner anymore. I can't skate; the pressure is too much. It's over Phoenix, all of it."

The next day, I hoped to see you at the rink, but you weren't there.

Mr. Sakil lost count of the number of times he called you since they all went straight to voicemail. We tried calling your parents and even your stupid friends, but no one knew where you were.

It was as if you had vanished.

We hadn't classified to go to the Olympics; our dream never came true.

The following days were the worst. Multiple newspapers from town reached out to me.

What happened between you both? Is Adonis okay? Does that mean your career is over? We are highly disappointed with Phoenix Stellar and Adonis Wong.

I refused to say a thing to each one of them.

We were both twenty-one at the time. Now, five years later, it was my first time skating; it felt wrong.

You weren't with me, and I had to live with that for the rest of my days.

Skating was a painful reminder of what I had lost; you.

THE END
don't forget to comment and vote.