56-60

Chapter 56: Helping Him
As the door closed, Lu Chenzhou opened his eyes and stared at the recording device she had left on the table for a long while before calling Baldy. "You said that the Wang siblings wanted to chase their stepmother out of their house, right?"

"Yes. Their father's quite old now, and his mind's a little muddled. They're trying to prevent him from giving all his assets to their stepmother in his will... Honestly, their stepmother isn't innocent either. She pretended to be ill to summon her biological son back from overseas. Apparently, he graduated from a famous school, worked at a renowned company, and is much smarter than the Wang siblings; there'll be exciting drama ahead, I'm sure." Baldy's voice was filled with schadenfreude as he gossiped about the other family's affairs. Only when he finished did he realize that this wasn't something that Boss Lu usually deigned to partake in. He even thought that it might have been because he was planning to profit from the fight. "What, you're interested in their companies?"

"Not at all." Lu Chenzhou lowered his gaze, looking at his hands. They were currently clutching his jade teacup, which was allegedly made from a warm piece of jade. However, stone was just stone, and it emanated a coldness that annoyed him. He used an even colder tone to tell Baldy, "You have lots of women, so go find a girlfriend for the Wangs' stepmother's son."

"What do you mean 'I have lots of women?!'" Baldy started jumping around again, and, when he realized what he had said, he started shouting again. "When did you become a matchmaker for other people? Did the Wang siblings ask you for help? To use a woman to ruin their half-brother?"

Lu Chenzhou ignored him and simply said, "Find a woman who has a strong background and valuable skills, someone who can't be rejected."

Baldy kept yelling his grievances. "You're trying to help his stepmother? Will the Wang siblings cry themselves to death if they knew your stance? Even though the youngest one's a bit unreliable, and did throw a woman at you..."

He continued speaking long-windedly nonsense, but Lu Chenzhou didn't want to listen to him and irresponsibly threw four words at him. "That'll be all."

And then he hung up.

Baldy was furious.

On the other hand, Lu Chenzhou held his phone and laughed coolly. Did Baldy say that he wanted to help the Wangs' stepmother? No, he was solely helping himself. He was helping Lin Fan recognize his own reality by finding him a suitable woman.

As for him being Cheng Xi's idol? Hah!

Cheng Xi didn't know what sort of thoughts were going through Lu Chenzhou's mind. Even though she was a psychiatrist, if patients weren't willing to share any information, it wasn't as if she could forcefully read their thoughts.

Right now, she only felt that her stomach was somewhat uncomfortable —she had drunk too much water and eaten too much fruit earlier.

She hadn't been ill-treated while doing tasks for Lu Chenzhou; the tea was exquisite, the fruits were plentiful, but the result was unsatisfying. Even after how hard she'd worked, he had still complained that she was bothering him and preventing him from sleeping.

She tried hard to get close to him, but it seemed like her efforts had all been made in vain. Could it be that all her compliance and forbearance was futile?

As Cheng Xi sat in the car, she reflected on her actions. Though she was being honest with him, it might be time to adjust her strategy.

But he was too indifferent towards everything, even Chen Jiaman's case. After what had happened last time, Lu Chenzhou's interest in her seemed to have dipped.