13 : compass.

A/N: Merry chrysler eve :3c this was rly supposed to be posted like 3 days ago but whoop dee doo i forgot to post it here HAHAHA I'M SORRY TT i got sucked into the 1.2 update and now I have 90% of Dragonspine explored just a day after the release HELP

...

The late afternoon sun burned steadily across the horizon—golden amber rays splintering through the ominous-looking trees of Wolvendom. Dusk was already rolling in, but the sound of blades meeting in a song of battle could still be heard throughout the Dawn Winery. Anyone who wasn't from around these parts would have wondered why an uproar like that raged on at this hour, but for the Winery's residents, sparring sessions between their young masters happened too often to warrant their concern.

"Do you yield?"

Looking up at Diluc's form towering over him from the ground, Kaeya let his head fall back on the grass. A wry smile made it to his face when he felt his brother's blade inch away from his neck, and he supposed that he'd take the loss in stride. Being bested in a clash of swords to a man that worked best with claymores was nothing but another wound to lick.

"So cruel," he muttered, toying with the blades of grass beneath his fingertips, "the Captain of the Cavalry, not even taking it easy on a mere novice. You secretly like these power trips, don't you?"

"Don't project yourself onto me," scoffed Diluc. But Kaeya was keen to notice the proud smirk he'd tried to suppress. "I'm not the one feigning as a beginner just to see the looks on the other knights' faces when I finally get serious."

As the redhead helped him to his feet, a hum of laughter slipped from Kaeya's mouth—smooth as silk and sweet as honey—but Diluc was no such victim to his brother's frivolities. Never was. Never will be. "Hey now, don't go slandering me like that."

"Is it slander if it's the truth?"

"Ah, you seriously won't wife anyone up with that attitude."

Diluc, who seemed uncharacteristically responsive to his quips, looked like he was about to rebut with an equally demeaning response, but the sound of a gentle voice calling out to them from the manor hindered their timely banter. You sauntered over to their usual spot at the edge of the property, two glasses of grape juice placed on top of the tray in your hands. Trailing closely behind was Tunner's grandson—hiding behind the skirts of your uniform. Ah, what was his name again?

"Noah, you wanted to ask these two about Visions, didn't you?" Your encouragement was subtle, flashing him a warm grin. "Go on."

Kaeya shared a quick look with his brother, both unsure of how to present themselves post-spar in front of a curious child. But when Noah finally decided to bite the bullet, he told them, "Do you think I can get a Vision someday? C-Can I help protect the city with you too?" with a face that Kaeya would have likened to an apple. The poor boy was so embarrassed, he looked like he had smoke billowing from his ears, but he opted not to tease altogether. To his relief, Diluc decided to take one for the team.

"You're only, what, five years old? You shouldn't be thinking about those things yet."

The glass was halfway to his lips when Kaeya flashed Diluc an scandalized look. Oh sweet Barbatos, that is not how you talk to kids about their dreams! "Ahaha, what the Captain here means to say is," Kaeya began swiftly in an attempt at damage control, "if you really are worthy, then the gods have no reason not to give you a Vision. Isn't that right, Diluc?"

His brother returned his stare pointedly. "But what if he isn't worthy?"

Kaeya could practically hear your jaw dropping along with his own. In a moment of silent agreement, you met Kaeya's gaze as Noah stared up at Diluc with a flash of hurt in his eyes. Do something, you mouthed frantically as you attempted to quell an incoming breakdown from the five year-old. Archons dammit