19 : distraction.

This chapter has suggestive content! Read at your own discretion.

...

"You know you didn't have to come along, right?"

The road to the Winery was as quiet as any undisturbed corner of Mondstadt. A soft morning breeze whispered in your ears as the manor slowly came into view. But this was not like all the times you'd made the trip back home, where nothing but the countryside air kept you company.

Kaeya let out a quick laugh, hovering around in a way that reminded you of cicins fluttering late at night—though who's more annoying was still up for debate. "And miss out on the chance to get you alone? Keep dreaming, sweetheart."

"I'm going to dropkick you off Drunkard Gorge." You glared at him, fingers tightening around the bag slung over your shoulder. Seriously, it was way too early for this. As usual though, Kaeya wasn't deterred by your attempt at getting him to lay off on the cheekiness. If anything, it only served to encourage the bastard further.

"You would not," he gasped and sounded as sincere as a scheming Cavalry Captain. "You'll miss me if I died so young, and I can't have that pretty face looking all sad, now can I?"

Your shoulders slumped as you bid a silent surrender. There was no outfoxing Kaeya in his own game when he's already dead-set with having the last word.

The dirt road seemed to stretch on longer as you basked in the silence—nothing but Kaeya's off-key humming filling your ears. For a moment, you let yourself wonder why he was going out of his way for a trivial thing. He was just complaining about his incessant workload when he'd walked you home last night, yet he was still taking up the job?

"I know I could always just tell Miss Celia I showed up even if I didn't," the Captain said out of the blue, as if your thoughts were scribbled right on top of your face. You startled at his admission, and he had the gall to laugh at the sight. "I know I can do that, but I won't."

"Why, though?" you grumbled, cheeks burning with heat.

Kaeya hummed as he tilted his head up to the cloudless sky—the sun making his deep blue hair more vibrant in the daylight. There was somewhat of a...novelty in being with him like this. You'd gotten so used to seeing Kaeya under the veil of the city's night sky, that witnessing him standing right out here gave you a little whiplash. This was the first time Kaeya has left the city without his knightly uniform, too. Just a loose white dress shirt and his usual trousers. When was the last time you even walked back to the Winery with him in tow? Too long, it seemed.

"Well, if an esteemed person like Miss Celia trusts little old me with both her house and her daughter," the Captain started, the beginnings of a smile tugging on his lips as his gaze flickered to you, "then who am I to take that for granted?"

Kaeya's words carried a tone that you didn't usually hear from him; one that freaked you out just a tad. It was one thing to hear the Captain spouting out lies like it was as easy as breathing, but for Kaeya to sound more genuine than you've ever heard him speak? Regarding something that he would typically joke about? Oh, Archons. The end was upon you—you just knew it.

The moment you two set foot on the property, your arrival was met with the staff's usual hospitality. Adelinde got Moco and Hillie to get the Winery's cleaning equipment out of the cellar so you and Kaeya could get started with a promise of a tasty lunch when noon rolled around. Although, she wasn't below flashing you suggestive looks while Kaeya spoke to Elzer about something out of earshot.