06 : nothing.

"A day job?"

The utter disbelief in Mags' voice was punctuated by several things at once. The loud scrape of silverware across your co-worker's plate. The equally baffled looks that Charles and his wife, Angeline, shot your way. Even Baby Eloise seemed to take your words as an affront—given that she'd started crying in her crib the moment you broke the news.

You sighed, twirling your fork around a coil of pasta without the intent to shovel the food into your mouth. When Angeline got up to pacify her daughter's sobs, it gave you some leeway for contemplation. Somehow, the you from this morning had the inkling that bringing it up over lunch wasn't such a good idea. But from the lack of open protests from the people you were currently dining with, you figured that wasn't quite the case.

"About damn time," Mags hollered, ruffling your hair to the point of abuse. "We all know Master Diluc gives us more zeros than we deserve, but I would've keeled over if I had nothing else to do in the morning."

Charles frowned. "How about sleeping?"

"Never heard of her!"

As Charles shook his head over her undying enthusiasm, Mags spared you a supportive grin. "So, what job are you eyeing? Helping out at Sara's? Teaching the kids at the cathedral? Oh! Maybe you could get into a partnership with me!"

"Mags, you know not everyone is cut out to be a jack-of-all-trades," Charles commented before helping his wife back into her seat. "You're not getting in trouble with the Knights because of that, are you?"

A dramatic gasp resounded in the room as Mags folded her arms together. "Hey! Mind you, I run a humble and legal business. And it's not like I'm rallying up the citizens of Mond to pay me to get rid of Hilichurl camps or anything. The most extreme thing I've done is walk five dogs at once." With that on the table, your colleague's gaze flickered your way—stars practically twinkling in her eyes. "So, what do you say? You wanna get roped into another job by yours truly?"

Knowing very well how persuasive Mags can be with these things, you offered her an apologetic laugh. "I wouldn't want to hog all your glory, Mags."

"Alright, fine," she chuckled, cleaning off the rest of the carbonara on her plate. "What's with the sudden spike in resolve, though? You told me once that you never make major decisions overnight."

All of a sudden, you felt three pairs of eyes weighing their curious gazes on your form, and you couldn't help but square your shoulders. A flush of heat arose on your cheeks—wondering if they'd laugh in your face for the petulant reason behind your choice. But then again, these people were practically family to you. Charles has been inviting you and Mags for lunch with Angeline every weekend since your employment, and you had to admit that her home cooking has gotten you attached. It wouldn't hurt to let them know...right?

Shoving down whatever reluctance lingered in your heart, you opened your mouth to speak.

"Actually..."

...

Your home was right in the heart of Mondstadt, yet you felt as if you were treading a war-torn battlefield.

The room you thought was too spacious for one person became all sorts of cramped with two more in its occupancy. It was rather comical, if you were being honest with yourself—Diluc Ragnvindr nursing a mug of sweet milk right across from Captain Kaeya Alberich. If the air wasn't as stifling as it was now, you would have snorted. The sight was ripped straight from the memories you shared as children, but with none of the youthful glee that made those Springvale mornings so precious to you.