Friendly Friday

"I said to research guys interests not get on your hands and knees for them," Neo peered down at me with a growing smile.

"I didn't have the strength to walk to the door." I was crawling across the floor.

He peered down to me, "Maybe next time I could just slide the pizza through the doggy door?"

"No," I pulled myself up, not wanting to look him in the face. He was always so well put together, and I was always bedraggled. My clothes were covered in dirt, my hair was full of leaves and snapped twigs, not to mention my hands were matted in white chalk.

"Don't tell me," he unzipped the black delivery bag, "Climbing club?"

I nodded, "Every part of my body hurts," I could feel my eyes welling up. Ever since I'd moved out of home, I'd turned into some emotional wreck.

Mum's comfort food wasn't pizza, but it offered a shoulder to cry on during mealtime. Now due to not having someone to vent to I'd taken advantage of the poor delivery dude who was just trying to do his job.

"And I'm going to have to be honest with you," he rubbed the back of his neck with one hand, extending the cardboard box which held my much needed dinner, "They forgot the extra cheese."

I started to whimper, then tears flowed down my cheeks and then it turned ugly with sobbing. Sniffling I held the pizza to my chest and was losing it in front of Neo who had absolutely no experience in the area of hormonal and overtired females.

"No, no," he shook his head, "I'll go back," he came forward and took the pizza off my hands, noticing how I was slowly dropping it, wanting to wipe my eyes. "Trust me, just wait here I'll be ten minutes ok?" he put on his best chirpy voice.

Neo was adorable, he really thought I was crying because the missing layer of cheese. Unfortunately, it was a plethora of factors, namely the point that even after five weeks of intense activities I still hadn't gained the interest of any guys. I had been studying all week for an exam, which only made me feel more single.

Neo was making his way down the path to get back into his car with the pizza by the time I had wiped my eyes.

"No, Neo," I laughed, sniffling a little, leaving the front door and chasing after him.

He spun around and I nearly ran into him. My face was at his chest height, and I had to put my hand out on his arm to stop myself from colliding with him. His hands steadied me by the waist and for a moment we shared in silence before I straightened up and he released me.

"Are you sure? I mean..." he peered into my face, "I can get more cheese Evie."

I laughed, giving my face one more wipe, only imagining how wretched I must look with red eyes and a sniffle, "It's not the cheese."

"Oh," he seemed to relax.

"I'm sorry," I shook myself out, pulling the sleeves of my sweater up into my palms to stretch, "I'm such a mess."

"A cute mess," he removed a small leaf from my hair, and I couldn't help but blush.

It was the first time I had ventured beyond my front porch with him and suddenly I was out in the world, feeling insecure.

"What happened?" Neo stood tall, his arms crossed as if in business mode, the pizza bag on the path out of his hands, "Don't tell me one of the guys did something to..."

"No," I reassured, crossing my own arms, wrapping my sweater over me slightly since it was a cool night, "No, that's the thing, nothing's happened with any of them," I could feel myself welling up again.

He opened the pizza bag, pulled up the lid of the cardboard packaging and held it out before me, "Go on, you'll feel better."

I screwed up my face but couldn't hold the frown for long since the smell of pepperoni inherently made me happy.

I took a slice and had a bite, my body feeling all warm. Neo didn't say anything else, he didn't have to, he'd made me feel one hundred times better just by being there with a smile and a much needed pizza. I couldn't have asked for a better Friday night and after that I saw Neo in a different way. He wasn't just the delivery dude he was a friend.

"Any pizza can be personal if you cry while eating it."

- Aparna Nancherla