First Friday

"Pepperoni pizza for one."

"No need to shout it, my neighbours are well aware I'm single," I muttered as I opened the door while shuffling through my purse, trying to find loose change.

"Sensitive," the deep voice whispered.

"Excuse me but..." I looked up ready to scream at some poor pizza deliverer because I'd had an exhausting day, instead I gasped. "You're new!" I'd seen all the delivery drivers who worked at the local pizza shop and none of them had ever looked like the Adonis standing at my door. Before me stood a six foot five, dark haired, amazing cheek boned guy. He appeared to be in his early twenties, had the cheeky smile to go with it too. Not many people could pull off the stark colours of the pizza shirt, but if they used him for advertising pizza sales would spike.

The handsome stranger smirked a little, "Yes, the name's Neo."

My mouth wavered in his presence, but I suddenly realised the smirk was probably a result of how I currently looked. I was wearing non-matching pj's, unicorn socks and sandals, with my hair in a sloppy bun, but not the cute kind. Any trace of makeup I'd worn to university had been washed away and replaced by a goopy honey face mask which was meant to do wonders for my skin but was currently not helping my image at all.

I handed over the money taking my pizza from him, the warm cardboard packaging making my stomach unfortunately gurgle.

I tried to cover it up by talking, "With extra cheese?"

"Indeed," he took the cash.

I always tipped the delivery dudes since they practically saved my life every week with the cheesy goodness, "I don't usually dress..." I gestured to all of me, "Well I mean, the face mask and..."

"No?" he acted surprised with a hint of laughter.

"Ok," I surrendered, "It's just, I had a long day."

"Lectures?" he smiled as he zipped up the pizza bag.

"No class today, it was a market day so signing up for clubs and getting free stuff, meaning I have got water bottle and notepad supplies for the year." I'd gone a bit sick on getting those water bottles, I'm pretty sure one had a logo for a funeral home.

"Sign up for many?" he put the bag over his shoulder, and I was sent a wave of his peppermint cologne which was completely intoxicating.

"Twenty," I muttered.

He choked back a laugh.

"I know, I know, well it's just I'm sick of this," I threw my arms up, the pizza waving in one hand.

"Pizza?" he put his hand on his chest as if insulted.

"No, sick of having 'Pizza for one'."

"I've joined run club, woodwork, dance," I shook my head, "I can't dance, science club, climbing, hell I even joined the swim team and the last time I did backstroke I split my head open and the pool had to be evacuated during the carnival."

"Sounds like you're a busy woman," he peered down at his watch which was nicely polished and vintage, "And speaking of busy," he pivoted and started to walk away.

I stood in the doorway of my apartment on the first floor, awkwardly, as a piece of my honey face mask dropped from my nose onto the welcome mat, "Nice to meet you Neo," I searched for something cool to say but ended up just blurting out, "Nice watch!"

He sent me a short wave before leaving with a chuckle, "Nice socks".

"I'm a unicorn," My loud words hung uncomfortably in the air. "I mean my socks have unicorns."

I shook my head and closed the door, hugging the pizza to my chest, and that is why I'm on my own.

Quote of the day:

"Pizza is a circle. Pizza is my life. Pizza is the circle of life."

- Ed Sheeran