➝ xxiv.

DRACO MALFOY HAD ALWAYS FORESEEN A MARRIAGE IN HIS FUTURE

DRACO MALFOY HAD ALWAYS FORESEEN A MARRIAGE IN HIS FUTURE. He'd pictured waking up every morning with his wife right next to him, visiting families together, and starting a family with children. He just never imagined it would be with a woman he didn't love.

"Well, don't you look fucking ecstatic," came the sarcastic voice of Theodore Nott who sidled up next to Draco. He was grinning saccharinely, looking particularly like Lucifer at the moment in his suit.

"Of course, don't you see his bright ass smile?" sassed Neville Longbottom who flanked Draco's other side — both his best men hounding on him.

Draco's frown deepened to a scowl. "Leave me alone, you wankers — I am happy. See?" He forced his lips to pull up to a smile that he knew looked awkward.

"That is the worst pretend-happy face I've ever seen," scoffed Dorothy Walsh who joined their little group. "You just look constipated."

Theo snickered. "Right you are, mami."

Dottie rolled her eyes playfully at Theo before facing Draco. "The wedding's starting in two minutes — are you ready?"

Draco hesitated — was he truly ready to spend the rest of his life with Astoria? He met the eyes of his best friends, and they all knew his genuine answer. Perhaps one day he'll find it in him to tell the truth. "Yes, I'm ready."

Dottie's lips pulled to a sad smile before nodding gently. "Okay, I'll let them know." She breathed out a sigh before walking away from them.

Neville and Theo each gave Draco a thump on the back before moving to stand in their respective places. Draco let loose a long exhale, shutting his eyes for a moment as he felt his throat closing up in anxiety.

The wedding began shortly upon Astoria's arrival as she walked down the aisle. She was beautiful, even Draco couldn't deny that — with her elegant long-sleeved dress with a train that delicately dragged from behind. But even as she was the center of attention when walking to meet Draco by the altar, he couldn't stop himself from scanning the crowd.

Hoping that maybe — just maybe — she would show up.

Astoria smiled prettily, taking Draco's offered hand as they both faced the wizard that was officiating their marriage.

Draco wasn't listening to a word the man was saying, he was staring off at a distance. He couldn't stop the pain inside of him as though his heart was being repeatedly stabbed by a dagger. It killed him how every word the wizard spoke brought him closer and closer to what he was dreading.

"Do you, Draco Lucius Malfoy, take Astoria Jocelyn Greengrass to be your lawfully wedded wife? In sickness and in health; for richer or for poorer — until death do you part?"

Draco was silent for a second, eyes boring into Astoria's emerald ones as he felt his heart shatter. He looked over to where her parents sat and they both nodded eagerly at him to say yes. He turned to his mother whose gaze pierced through his. She gave him one very firm nod.