Terrible Truths

Like John A Keel, I believe that some of the aliens and cryptids occasionally caught on video come from different dimensions that we can't see/access. That these creatures come through tears in our reality (or portals) into our dimension through heavily charged areas on earth, like the Appalachian mountains. Hence the reason why they disappear so quickly and can't be found. Sort of like the Upside Down from Stranger Things.
That unknown dimension is where these monsters, demons, and ghosts come from in my AU. I'm calling it the Unknown.

This'll come into play later;)

Song for this chapter: Midnight Thoughts by Set it off

************************

"Are you going to hurt me?"

Rose, the hat, looked down at the little girl pinned to the ground with fake pity. "Oh, sweetheart," she smiled maliciously as she held up a scalpel for the terrified child to see, "of course we are."

A piercing scream echoed throughout the otherwise unoccupied forest as the surgical tool turned weapon found its mark.

******

"No," Peter whimpered as he tossed and turned in his sleep, tangling his legs in his blanket. He was used to the nightmares that plagued him on a near-daily basis. But this felt different. Not a dream but more of a vision. "Don't... please stop."

He was hovering in the sky, looking down on what appeared to be a small caravan of trailers parked in a circle within a small forest clearing. It was nighttime wherever they were, and the forest was dark except for the lights on the trailers and a glowing campfire in the very center of the clearing. He could smell the smoke, hear the nocturnal wildlife, and see what those people were doing.

They were killing a little girl who couldn't have been more than nine years old.

"Stop, stop, stop!" His volume steadily grew until he was screaming, his voice strong despite the fear resting in the back of his mind. These people were laughing while they tortured her as if killing a child was some type of joke. He began to toss and turn violently as the unknown child's screams grew weaker and weaker. Deep crimson blood coated her once pink tutu and the ground beneath her, turning the soil into mud. By now, Peter's sheets were ripped to shreds, and his duvet was on the floor due to his restlessness. "Stop!"

The woman wearing the patched magician's hat paused for a moment, looking around the surrounding forest as if listening for something, searching for a distant call from an unknown source. Peter cried out again, begging them to stop, and the woman's gaze found him. Her eyes were cold and unfeeling.

Anger surged through the young hero at the realization that the little girl had likely been kidnapped and that she would not be found alive. She would die out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by strangers. The strangers who killed her.

Peter couldn't save her, the realization slamming into him like a punch in the face. "Leave her alone!" He screamed in pure rage, his immense power sending the woman and her companions flying back, far away from the bloody child dying in the dirt.

The group of killers looked around, stunned, not daring to get up from where they had fallen. The woman in the hat, on the other hand, smiled darkly and sauntered back over to her prey. She looked up and found Peter's gaze once more, the child at her boot-clad feet. Rose looked him in the eyes as she stabbed the scalpel into the little girl's heart.

Peter jolted awake with a scream on his lips. The unrivaled power he possessed and his pure, unbridled emotions caused every glass surface on the penthouse floor to shatter. Mirrors, windows, lightbulbs, and any of the like exploded simultaneously.