Visitors and Hunters

Song for this chapter is Monster by Willyecho

*****************************

Tony stood outside Peter's bedroom door, too afraid to knock but too remorseful to walk away without saying anything. It wasn't often that the billionaire was left speechless, but at this moment, he had absolutely no clue what to say. He didn't want to offend Peter further, but he knew that saying nothing would be even worse.

"I can hear your heartbeat," Peter spoke up from the opposite side of the door, scaring Tony more than the mechanic would ever admit.

"Why aren't you in the panic room?" Tony blurted then immediately cringed. That was not a good way to start this conversation.

"The fix-it bots fixed everything, so I figured I'd come back up to my room." Peter shrugged even though he knew Tony couldn't see him. His room was another safe place for him to go when he needed some time to think. "Why are you just standing there?"

"Because I wanted to check on you, but I didn't know what to say." Responded Tony as he sat criss-cross-applesauce on the hardwood floor, unknowingly mirroring Peter's exact position.

How about I'm sorry? Peter grumbled silently in his head. As much as he loved Tony, looking up to the man as if he were his father, one of the only grievances he had with the billionaire was that Tony rarely apologized.

"Pete, I-" he massaged his temples, feeling a stress headache begin to form. "I think it's safe to assume that you don't want to have a full-on conversation, so... questions?"

"Fine," Peter sighed.

Relief washed over Tony once the teen spoke up. Peter didn't sound like his usual, slightly perky self, but at least he was talking. He took a deep breath to calm himself, then began. "Has anything ever broken or exploded before? When you get angry, I mean."

Peter clenched his fists. "Yes."

"Are you usually able to control it?"

"Yes."

"Has anything like this ever happened at school?"

"No."

"You said that your friends Ned and MJ know about your sixth sense stuff?"

"Yes."

"Is it alright if I ask a few questions about May?" He asked, hopeful that he would get better results by asking politely. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to. And I promise I won't push you, bud. I went too far earlier."

He couldn't see it, but the corners of Peter's lips turned upwards into a happy smile. Peter didn't like being angry, it required too much energy, and he just wasn't an angry person. "Yes, Mr. Stark."

"Alright." Tony clapped his hands together before setting them on his knees. "Okay. Has she ever seen you use any of your powers, Spider powers or psychic powers?"

"Yes, and yes."

"Does she... does she not like that you're a mutant?"

"No." There was no hesitation or room for questions. Peter knew, with all of his being, that May didn't like him. He was a mutant with freaky powers, and on top of that, it was his fault Ben was dead. She had every right to resent him.

Tony's heart dropped. The kid sounded so sorrowful, so hurt. He didn't understand how anyone could dislike Peter. Unless someone was downright evil or just a spiteful person, everyone loved the teen. Peter was just... so pure and sweet.

"Is she ever... unkind to you?"

Peter scuffed, "you mean, has she ever abused me?" Each Avenger had asked Peter a variation of the same question multiple times over the past year, their concern both worrying and comforting to him.