Storage (Bones McCoy)

Prompt: "And neither should you."

Summary: Reader and Kirk have been best friends since their first day at the academy, and reader's been completely in love with Bones McCoy almost as long. When Jim tries to rope the reader into a prank against Bones, they might not be able to keep their feelings a secret any longer.

Day twenty-two of Fictober on Tumblr!

****************

"Alright, I'm officially off the clock. Open that bottle of Romulan Ale."

I grinned at my best friend as he walked through the door, then did what he said and popped the cork on our alcohol. Jim Kirk and I had been friends for a long time, but since he became captain of the Enterprise, we had a lot less time to just have fun and mess around. So, when the rare opportunity to do that came along, we made the most of it.

"How was the bridge?" I asked, pouring us each a glass before plopping down in one of the chairs in Jim's quarters. He got a bigger room since he was the captain, so I'd made the executive decision that we'd hang out here instead of in my room.

"It was fine. Nothing was trying to kill us when I left, so we at least have that." I laughed as Jim went to the stereo. He absolutely loved classical music from Earth, which was one of the first things we bonded over at the Academy. "Bones was still on duty, otherwise I would've invited him to join us."

I tried to keep my face neutral as Jim turned back to look at me. I'd had a massive crush on Bones since our second year at the academy, but I hadn't told a soul. Not even Jim, although I think he suspected it.

"Dang, that's too bad," I said, taking a sip of my drink and looking away from Jim. He sat down across from me as a Beastie Boys song started playing, and I kept trying to look as casual as possible.

"Yeah, well, I think it works out perfectly for us," said Jim, leaning forward in his seat. I finally turned to look at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"We're into one of the safest stretches of our journey," he started, keeping his voice low. "If ever there were a good time to prank Bones, it's now."

My eyebrows shot up. Jim and I had been pranking royalty at the academy, and even after he became captain we pulled some epic pranks on different members of the crew whenever we could. But we never pranked Bones.

"No way," I said, not even needing to think about it. "I'm not pranking him, and neither should you."

Jim snorted and threw his hands up, flopping backwards in his chair before fixing me with a glare.

"You're only saying that because you have a thing for him."

"What? I do not have a thing for him!"

"Mhmm."

Jim just kept looking at me, arms crossed over his chest. I was a spluttering mess, and I knew I didn't have a shot at throwing him off the truth anymore. He knew me too well, and my immediately defensive reaction had given me away. I sighed.

"Alright. Alright, fine. Maybe I have a little bit of a thing for him."

"Since when is being in love with someone for years considered a little thing?"

"Shut up! What I am trying to say is, that's not why you shouldn't prank Bones."

Jim raised his eyebrows, clearly not believing a word that came out of my mouth, so I continued.

"It's Bones," I said. "We never pranked him at the academy or since because he will get revenge, and it'll be way worse than the original prank."