Job Offer (Jim Kirk)

Farch Day Two: Kirk + Abandoned Terrace

Summary: Y/N knew Kirk and Bones while they were all at the academy together, and was good friends with the two for most of their time there. The night before Kirk got assigned to the Enterprise and got dragged into a whirlwind Starfleet career, he and Y/N slept together. Y/N's own career got into full swing not long after, and they haven't seen or heard from Jim Kirk in five years when all that changes and reader receives a job offer to come and work on the Enterprise.

****************

I leaned against the balcony and looked out at the stars, tiny shining pinpricks of light high above me. I spent so much time in space I should've been happy to have a break on the ground, but really all I wanted to do was get back out there.

Still, there were worse places to be than a gorgeous Starfleet function. All the crews of the ships who could make it were here, each of us dressed to the nines to enjoy a celebration of everything we'd accomplished over the past few years.

It should have been perfect. But instead, I was hiding out here on an empty terrace, avoiding everyone inside and the decision in front of me.

A few weeks before the date of this party, I'd gotten a job offer from the captain of the Enterprise. He was offering me a position on the Bridge Crew of his ship, which was a serious step up from where I worked on my current assignment. It should've been a dream come true.

Unfortunately, there was one tiny detail that got in the way: I knew Jim Kirk.

I'd known him when we were both at the Academy, back when we were going through school before we could go out and see the galaxy. We'd been friends, and he'd been charming (and arrogant), and eventually we'd slept together.

And then he'd graduated early and gone to space, and we hadn't spoken since that one night stand.

At least, until he reached out to offer me a position on his ship. It had been years since the Academy, so maybe he didn't even remember me, but either way I wasn't exactly jumping at the idea of accepting his offer.

I'd talked it through with a few of my friends, and they were all encouraging me to accept. I hadn't seen Kirk in a while, but I was sure he wouldn't cross any lines if I joined his crew. Still, I wasn't sure I liked the idea of accepting the promotion and taking orders from him.

I thought seeing him tonight might be enough to make up my mind. But, when I walked in and caught sight of him with a few of his crew members standing by the punch bowl, I turned on my heel and headed straight out here. I knew my friends would be teasing me for chickening out later, but I just wasn't ready to deal with whatever that conversation would bring.

Which left me alone in the crisp night air, breathing deeply and enjoying my space with the stars. I'd rejoin the party eventually, but the clarity that came from being out here was nice. I wasn't ready to give it up for a stuffy party just yet.

I took a deep breath and savored the view for a few beats before trying to get up the energy to go rejoin my friends and confront Kirk. Before I could, I heard the door open behind me, and a pair of footsteps walked out onto the terrace.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you."

Five years later, and I still recognized that voice. I turned around to see the one and only Captain James T Kirk standing before me, hands clasped behind his back and a grin on his face.

"I was hoping I'd get a chance to talk to you tonight," he said. "I sent you that job offer three weeks ago, and I haven't heard a word since. I was starting to get worried."