holidays with her family

Harry swears he wasn't eavesdropping when (Y/N) excused herself from his art studio to take a call. He hadn't meant to, but its a little hard to ignore the sound of your beloved's voice when she's just a wall away. He overheard her talking to her mother, the other line a bit muffled, but he could catch what sounded like holiday plans. And it sounded like (Y/N) was agreeing to a visit again.

He felt his posture harden and a tick click in his jaw. Aside from the too-long period between biting the last time she traveled home, he couldn't quite forget that feeling of loss that settled over him once she was too far away to feel. He doubted she would be away as long as last time, her own rules in place dictating how often he was to bite to avoid the incident from before, but that didn't stop the loneliness that was sure to spread over him for even the two weeks max she would be away. But, if going away to visit her family would make her happy, he would endure the fruitless yearning for as long as needed.

So, he didn't say anything after she stepped back into his studio after ending the call. He allowed her to quietly peek over his shoulder at the painting he had been working on for the better part of the afternoon—an impressionistic piece of a familiar Italian field with an even more familiar woman dotted in the background. He felt the stiff in his muscles deflate as she draped herself across his shoulders, her arms wrapped around the width of his shoulders and her chin settled in the crook of his neck. He'd miss this while she was away, but there was no use in sulking over it before it happened.

"Looks really pretty, H. Makes me want to go back," she crooned to him, pressing a delicate kiss to his cheek. He cracked a smile at the gesture, dimples denting his cheeks in pure joy.

"Thank you, m'petal," he spoke tenderly, tone matching her's, "How was your mum?"

"She's good, was just wondering what my plans were for the holidays. She specifically asked if I was planning on staying with my 'mystery boyfriend' this year," she let out a laugh at her words, the sound only deepening the smile on his face. It would never get old, would it?

"And what'd y'tell her?" As if he hadn't heard her already practically agree to leave him alone at the manor for another two weeks.

But, Harry reminded himself, there was no use in sulking through the time he had with her.

"I told her I had to figure some things out first before I could come down again," she answered simply.

"And what is that?"

A pause passed between them, the only sound being Harry patting strategic dots of paint over the canvas.

"How would you feel about coming home with me?"

Harry could honestly say he hadn't expected that. The previous times the opportunity for him to meet her family had arose, they were quickly shot down with (Y/N) unsure of how to explain away Harry's various quirks in such close vicinity to others. He had assumed this would be another thing he would opt out of in favor of keeping his secret and holding onto the private bliss they shared.

Harry placed his palette down, twisting in his seat to face her. (Y/N)'s arms fell from around him, leaving her hands free for him to lace his fingers through. A pinch shaped his brow as he gazed up at her.

"Would y'like me to accompany you? Truthfully?" He wanted to know if she was sure, if she was ready to excuse the way he wouldn't be joining in any meals and preferred to stay inside during the day.

"If you're okay with it, I want you to meet my family and show you where I grew up and all of that silly stuff," she answered, a bashful smile decorating her features. Her eyes were soft as she returned his gaze, somehow able to make blinking look tender and the flutter of her lashes angelic.