II

Spring Boulevard-6th Avenue

"What did you just do!?" Iris Campbell's foster mom, Kris, cried out in fear as she slowly backed away from her daughter.

"Is this your way of saying you're proud of me?" Iris teased as she dropped the child she had just saved from the speeding car on the pavement.

"Iris, how did you do that?" Kris repeated skeptically as she chewed on her botox filled lips.

"Save a child? It's just part of my incredible expertise, " Iris joked as she ruffled the kid's curly hair before leading him to his mother.

"Jesus Christ! I-I thought I was about to lose my son," the boy's mom cried out, clutching at her chest with both of her hands. "That was really brave of you, I owe you my life."

"It's no big deal ma'am I'm just glad I got to him in time," Iris gleefully replied.

"No seriously, thank you so much, may the Lord bathe you in his grace and bless you with-" the mom exclaimed before she was interrupted by her son pulling her towards the candy store right ahead.

"Y-You just teleported from the pavement to the street and back," Kris stammered in disbelief once the child and his mother were too far to listen.

"That's not what-" Iris was about to explain before she was cut off by an image of her disappearing from Kris's side.

"How!?" Kris shrieked.

"I just ran so fast towards the kid that you didn't see me," Iris countered as she ran her thin fingers through her long silky ginger hair. Was that really what happened?

"I am not crazy, Iris. I know what I saw," Kris asserted as she gaped through Iris's sapphire eyes.

Iris dismissively turned around and started strolling down the street. Deep down, she knew that what she had just done, whatever it was, could easily cost her her life. She also knew that she had been extremely lucky the road was vacant, although she was sure Kris would have no problem selling her out for some cash.

...

"I'll get the door!" Iris called out as she headed towards the brown wooden door. She was glad her mom dropped the subject when they arrived back home as Kris had announced that she was going to rest in her room.

Not like that was not what she always did to avoid preparing lunch or doing any chores expected of a normal parent. It was almost as though she only adopted Iris so that she can have a maid who required no income. However, Iris would officially be an adult tomorrow and she could finally start living however she pleases.

"Iris Campbell?" the person at the door inquired.

"Y-yes," she hesitated, her bright eyes widening at the sight of the police officer before her. The officer then aggressively yanked Iris's wrists and handcuffed them as he dragged her to the vehicle parked outside, without a warning.

"Can't you at least tell me where you're taking me?" Iris mumbled as she entered the rusty car.

"Hell."