Chapter 16: Flase Hopes

ELARA
♾♾♾♾♾

A slight drizzle pours down from the sky. Every time I breathe, a cloud of warm air leaves my lips. I shiver while rubbing my hands together for warmth.

"She should be back by now," I say.

Bellamy looks out towards the forest. "She'll be back,"

I bit my lips and look over my shoulder at Monroe who waits further behind Bellamy and I.

I call for her to join us and she does. The three of us wait patiently for Clarke to return with news of our plan to break both our friends and the grounders out of Mount Weather.

In the distance there's a faint light from a torch. It bounces with each step as it appears closer and closer. Several grounders escort Clarke back to camp and I order the guards to open the gate. Bellamy and I rush over to her— but when she enters, her face is pale and her shoulders are hung low.

That could only mean one thing— bad news.

My face falls as I ask her what's wrong.

Finn hurries over to us and Clarke pulls him to the side right away.

"Clarke?" I ask again. "What's going on?"

Her eyes shift to the grounders outside of the gate. She doesn't say anything.

"Clarke, you're back." Abby gives her daughter a hug. When they pull apart, Abby takes it upon herself to ask what happened with the grounders. "Is there any chance at a truce?"

Clarke hesitates. "Yes,"

"Okay, that's good," I say.

She shakes her head. "No, it's not."

"What do you mean?"

Her eyes land on Finn, "They want you."

Bellamy sighs, "They want revenge for the villagers Finn killed back in Ton DC."

"What?" Raven chokes out. "No,"

"That's their offer. It's the only way for a truce," Clarke replies.

"Thats not an offer,"

I take notice of the crowd surrounding us. Whispers find their way to all corners of camp.

"There's gotta be something else we can do," I suggest.

"If we refuse. . ." Clarke begins, "they'll attack us."

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "We can't just throw him to the crows. He knows what he did was unforgivable, and he now has to live with that for the rest of his life, but—"

"Give him up!" Someone shouts. Others murmur in agreement.

"I say we give him to the grounders! I didn't come all of this way from the Ark just to be killed!" Another man exclaims.

"Back off!" Raven sneers at the man.

I look at Bellamy. The crowd was growing more agitated.