Awoken

Dusk was slowly settling over the city. Nearby street lamps began to flicker on. The now humming lamps cast a gentle glow over the cracked sidewalk. From a certain alley, only a dim light shone through. Within a building that led to the dark alley, something remarkable was taking place. While the world began to sleep, someone else had just begun to wake.

'Why does my head hurt so bad?' The man who had laid still for months had his first conscious thought. He was not aware of the worries of the world at that moment nor did he care. He continued to lay still with his eyes clenched tightly shut. The dull pain that coursed through his body made it difficult to think of anything else.

After being as still as he possibly could for nearly three hours, he began to sit himself up. Slowly, he pushed himself from the table he was laying on. Still half sitting on it, he began to take in his surroundings. There wasn't much in the room, it just seemed like an empty basement at first glance. It was entirely concrete with no windows. There were, however, two doors. Directly across the room from him were large metal double-doors that looked as if someone had taken a blow torch to them. They were nothing more than a skewed mass of metal.

The wall on the man's right, however, had a regular janky looking green door. He pushed himself fully off of the table now and made his way to the door. While he was definitely still in pain, but he knew he wasn't safe here. He didn't seem to know much else other than his name. Aaron.

He made his way to the door and pushed on the handle leading him to an alley. He fell as soon as he stepped out of the door. There was a small step down and his legs were too weak to catch him. Despite his weakened state, he pulled himself back up and shut the door behind him. He then walked to the end of the alley where he noticed something on the ground.

It was only a broken shard of glass. But he could see his reflection in it. His eyes were slightly sunken in. 'Probably malnourishment,' he thought to himself. His skin felt almost lifeless which he didn't know what to make of. Otherwise, he seemed fine. He was just in desperate need of food.

He stole another glance at himself, this time noticing a scar about two and a half inches in length that was parallel to his left ear. At first, he couldn't remember where it came from until it all came crashing down on him. He was shot.

It was coming back in bits and pieces so he didn't have the whole story yet. But one thing he knew he wasn't mistaken on was that Miles was Spider-Man. His own nephew. He nearly killed his own nephew.

All of a sudden the hunger and weakness that seemed so constant just moments before were completely overshadowed by the aching pains in his heart. He had very few regrets in life, but this one was incomparable to the rest.