Chapter 4: Confession

enjoy! :D

Ever since Harry left for Hogwarts, aunt Petunia slowly turned back to her normal self.  But she has been fighting back the feeling that something was missing to her, something important in her life.

It was another busy morning in Privet Drive, the birds chirping on the trees, until scared away by the footsteps of children rushing to school, husbands driving their cars to work. Same was for the Dursleys. 'Breakfast!' Aunt Petunia called after placing the last dish on the table. Vernon came in and gave his wife a small peck on the cheek. Dudley tumbled down the stair with disordered uniform and books all over the place. 'Didn't I tell you to pack the night before?' Vernon said. Dudley groaned, he hated school. Petunia stared at the empty seat in front of her, 'Where's Ha...' her expression became blank. She always seems to zone out when she realises Harry is not going to be back. Dudley and Vernon didn't mind anymore; they just hope Petunia will get over it.

That morning, Petunia cleaned the house after her family left, she opened the dusty cupboard under the stairs, sneezing when the dust burst into the clean doorway. She gently brushed the walls, taking out the junk stored in there for ages. Dudley's crib, Harry's crib, some very old albums from Vernon's family, Dudley's old toys that couldn't fit in his room. When she got to the corner, she finds a mouldy old blanket, with faint yellow and blue squares. Strings were sticking out the sides. Petunia was disgusted at this blanket, until she recognise it as the blanket that little Harry would carry it around the house. He loved the blanket, he would snuggle it when he reads in a corner, he would wrap it in a bundle as a ball to hug. Until when he was 8, the blanket suddenly went missing. Harry cried for days, it took weeks for him to move on. Those memories made Petunia felt all warm inside.

10 years ago

'Petunia! The baby is crying!' Petunia's eyes shot open, bags were under her eyes. Being the mother of a one-year-old was hard, her little Dudley never seemed to grow up, still behaving like a new-born child, although Vernon was in an incredibly good mood because of his promotion in the company, which made him immune to the baby's constant cries in the night. Petunia rushed up the stairs to Dudley's nursery. But Dudley was sound asleep, holding onto the teddy bear that he almost ripped apart in a tantrum. The baby cries were still heard; Petunia knew her neighbours didn't have any babies recently. She opened the front door to check, and found a thing bundled in a blanket on the doorsteps, where the cries were from! She was shocked, who would leave a child here?

She picked the baby up, she gently soothed the baby like she would with Dudley, and the cries stopped. She stared at the bundle, the baby had a large lighting shaped scar, then it's face, something familiar rushed to her head, this child reminded her of her sister, Lily's husband, although she only saw the man once in a family gathering, she remembered his face very well as she was repelled by their being, wizards. A thought rushed to her head. 'No...' she mumbled under her breath, 'no no...she would never...' Petunia's heart shattered, Lily loved her son, she recently read in Lily's letters that she mentioned her life was in danger because of a prophecy, and she didn't know what to do to protect her son, Harry. The only reason Harry was placed here was if Lily...died. Her thought was confirmed after reading the letter attached to the blanket from Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts that Lily used to study in. Petunia had to raise this child, and teach him all about Hogwarts, and he will grow up to be the Chosen one to defeat the Dark Lord of their world. Petunia's mind was in a mess, what did she do to deserve this? Her dear sister passed away, leaving her son who seemed to be the only hope for the Wizarding World. She shut herself in the cupboard with the baby with her, she feels safe and comfortable in small spaces, then she silently cried.

'Why did you have to go Lily?' she thought, 'you were my only sister...' Petunia hated magic and wizards, the things that took her sister away. Lily's magical powers, took their parents away from Petunia. That Severus Snape, took her place as Lily's best friend. Then the professor from Hogwarts, who taken Lily from Petunia for good. No matter how hard Petunia tried, she couldn't hate Lily, she may be a witch, but Petunia always have a soft spot for Lily. Lily's last letter, she said, 'I love you Petunia, I always will. No matter how you shut me out, I will always be your sister.' Petunia let a scream, which woken Harry. His big green eyes rolled around then focused on Petunia, he let out a small whimper. Petunia looked back, hers met the green eyes of the child, little stars seem to twinkle in them, even in the dark cupboard. A red-haired adult appeared in her mind, she had a beautiful smile, a lily flower in her hair, and a small petunia in her hand, she spoke, 'Take care of Harry for me. Give him all the love that I would give him.

present day

The sound of an owl hooting broke Petunia's thoughts. The snowy owl dropped a letter through the mail slot. Petunia recognised the letter from Harry. The owl knew he was spotted, he quickly spread his wings to escape. 'Wait!' Petunia cried. The owl did wait, it tilts its head as if it understands. 'Do you deliver Harry Potter's letter to us?' Petunia asked breathless. The owl nodded. Petunia gave it a small plate of water which the owl drank pleasantly. Petunia scribbled a letter in light speed, she had to tell, all those thoughts stuck in her head for 10 years, she has to let them out. She stuck the letter to a parcel then hand it to the owl. 'Hope it's not too heavy' she said. The owl hold it up in ease and flew away. Petunia watched as it flew further and further until it disappears to a dot.

Thanks for reading this  Next update will be soon! Hope you liked it!