Chapter 5: Family

Hi readers! Here's another chapter! :D

'Harry! Harry!' Hermione hissed and nudged Harry, who was staring out the window for no reason. It took Harry few minutes to realise the Potions Master, Professor Snape, glaring at him. Hermione immediately focused back to her Potions book. 'You finally acknowledge my existence, Potter.' said Snape with his monotone voice, Harry jumped back at Snape who seemed to just aparated in front of him (even though you can't in Hogwarts), Harry opened his mouth to apologize, but Snape interrupted, '10 points from Gryffindor for not paying attention in class.' Harry lowered his head in embarrassment, some Gryffindor groaned and shot dirty looks at him.

After class, Ron came up to Harry. 'Harry in Merlin's name are you doing?' Ron asked. Harry shrugged and kept packing his books. 'Harry if you keep getting distracted in class, you're going to blow up the classroom in potions.' Hermione added. 'Okay, okay, I'm sorry I got Gryffindor's house points deducted.' Harry said, he started to get annoyed, he didn't want to tell them what he has been thinking. 'Harry, as your best friends, whatever problems you are facing, we can help you.' Hermione said with a smile. Harry was deeply moved, he gave a small smile, until someone from the Slytherin table came over.

'What are you staring at, Potter?' Draco Malfoy sneered, with his gang, Crabbe and Goyle. He mimicked Harry staring out the window, making round shapes with his fingers to mimic Harry's glasses. This just made Harry furious, he stomped out the classroom, leaving a worried Hermione and Ron shouting at the laughing Slytherins.

'Harry.' a voice of an old man was behind Harry, Harry turned around to find Dumbledore, since he didn't had any lessons later, he stopped to chat with Dumbledore. 'I hear from other teachers that something is distracting you, Harry. You seemed excited at the start of school.' Dumbledore said. Harry sighed, so that's why Dumbledore wanted to talk. 'It's nothing Dumbledore, just sleepy.'

'It doesn't seem like that to me.' Dumbledore frowned slightly. 'As your headmaster, I must be aware of my student's condition.' Harry decided to tell Dumbledore about the fight with his aunt. Which Dumbledore listened carefully and nodded at every word. 'Why did you sent me there? They hate me.' Harry spoke sadly.

Dumbledore thought for a while and said, 'Did you know why I sent you to your aunt and uncles?' Harry shook his head.

'Well, when your mother was attacked by Voldemort, she only wanted one thing, for you to be safe. She begged him to spare you, but was throw aside. When she died a powerful protection was placed on her baby son, which caused the temporary downfall of Voldemort.

But in order for that protection to last, I have to place you with you with your only living blood related family, your aunt. And even though your aunt hated magic, she loved her sister deeply. You see Harry, love is a very complex thing, way more than a feeling, can conceive people, can make people do things beyond limits, can protect their loved ones.'

Dumbledore stopped and looked at a confused Harry. He laughed a bit and looked out the window in the corridors, 'You'll understand one day.' His eyes twinkled, Harry looked at where Dumbledore was looking at, a small white dot appeared from the clouds speeding at their direction at high speed. Harry recognized the owl as Hedwig. Dumbledore excused himself. Gave another pleasing look at Harry then left.

Hedwig dropped the parcel and letter in Harry's head gently, then sat on Harry's shoulder. Harry was surprised, the letter was from aunt Petunia. He thought if he should burn the letter, to save the hurt after reading the harsh words. But he couldn't stop himself opening it.

"Harry,

How are you at school? Did you make any friends?

There is something I want to tell you. I just want to say I'm sorry for yelling at you, I just was so angry and upset that you are going to leave us like how Lily left me. The reason I didn't tell you anything about your parents it's because magic was the whole reason your parents got into the mess. She wrote me letters constantly, her last letter said that your life was in danger, and she didn't know what to do. In the end, I lost my sister, Harry. I never hated her, I love her so much. She told me to give all the love she could have given to her son. I needed to protect you Harry, that's why I kept you from the truth. I thought 10 years with no trace of you, they'll give up, but the truth was revealed anyway.

You might hate me now for screaming at you, for suddenly turned from your mother figure to an awful muggle aunt that you want nothing to do with. But no matter how you hate me, even if you try to shut me out, I will always be your family, because I love Lily, and I love you.

P.S. There is something in the parcel that I found while cleaning out the cupboard.

with all my love,

aunt Petunia"

At this point Harry was whelming with tears. The world seemed to have lightened up, became more beautiful, he could see aunt Petunia's motherly smile at him through the letter. he unravels the parcel, and held up an old blanket, he hugged it like when he was 5. It wasn't as mouldy and dusty as he imagined, his aunt must have cleaned it carefully before sending it. Harry was wanted to run to Privet Drive and give his family a big hug.

Few days later

'Morning Hermione, Ron.' Harry greeted cheerfully when he walked in the Great Hall. 'Wow, what's with the good mood, mate?' Ron greeted back, his mouth stuffed with toast, Hermione kept on reading, but was relieved that Harry seemed to be better now. 'Hi Hagrid,' Harry met Hagrid who was on his way to the teacher's table to hand something to Dumbledore. Hagrid looked a bit surprised that Harry was suddenly so cheerful as he was depressed for weeks after what happened with his aunt. Harry read Hagrid's look, 'everything is fine now.' Hagrid seemed relieved, he said goodbye to the boy.

'Hey Harry, you want to come to my house for Christmas?' Ron asked. Hermione already refused because she had to go back to spend Christmas with her parents. 'but I have to go back to the Dursleys this holiday.' Harry said disappointed, he wanted to go to see the Weasleys but he wanted to spend Christmas with his family. Ron was disappointed too, but he thought for a while then said excitingly, 'Hey why don't you invite them over too! We have a guest room.' Harry widen his eyes at the idea, the Dursley hated magic. Harry doubted the idea at first, but Ron pursued Harry to write a letter, surprisingly they agreed.

This was supposed to be the end of the story, but I decided to make a special extra chapter! Dursleys spending Christmas with the Wealseys! ;)