6. What Christmas Is All About

I don't know how long we stood there staring at each other, somehow having a million conversations with our eyes.

Did you want this? I think that one was answered by the fact that neither of us tried to stop kissing.

What are we going to do?

The biggest and most painful question buzzing around my mind was, "Do you really care about me, or am I just your rebound?"

I didn't want to ask it, so I reframed the question, "What are we going to tell the others?" I whispered, we were still so close.

He shook his head. I expected him to pull away from me and resume his sulking, but he did the total opposite, leaning in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. He tilted his head down to rest in on my shoulder.

"Jack, it's you, you're always there for me, you're the only person who fully totally gets me, and I have just been taking that for granted over and over again." He gripped my shoulders and looked sincerely into my eyes, "I'm so sorry that I payed more attention to a girl who doesn't even care about me than to you."

At this point I was standing there dumbfounded, my mouth hanging open, I really didn't believe that it was real.

"You do care about me right? Am I reading this all wrong? I don't want to ruin our friendship I can't imagine life without you." He started to ramble, this time it was my turn to cut him off, I reached up to cup his face in my hands and pulled his lips to mine again. "Of course I care about you, I care about you more than anyone, I just didn't think you felt the same?" I whispered, slightly concerned that he was going to say he didn't.

"I do, I think, I mean it's a lot to come to terms with but it just makes sense, everything feels alright when I'm with you." A smile crept onto my lips. "So I guess let's just see what happens? We don't have to tell anyone yet."

"Yeah," I agreed, "Let's keep it to ourselves for now." I linked my fingers through his. I felt bashful and like all my insides had melted so I was not in any position to go announcing hey my best friend just kissed me and I liked it and it might be something! But I felt very smug and didn't stop thinking about it as we walked back to the practice room together.

***

We didn't tell anyone about our confession of love for a few days, it felt special to keep it between just us for a short while. It soon became pretty clear that we couldn't keep away from each other. The part of Alex that had been holding back sure wasn't hesitating anymore. We spent most of the days at each other's places curled up on the sofa watching movies, pretty similarly to how we used to, but just felt much more right. We could snuggle up however we wanted without me feeling like I was snatching up moments of being with him before he started talking about his girlfriend again. Knowing that we loved eachother it felt like we had all the time in the world to soak it all up.

We reluctantly spent Christmas apart with our families, but on Boxing Day it's a tradition that us ATL guys spend it together for a day of silliness. It was just before we were tucking into our dinner that Alex piped up.

"Um guys..me and Jack have something to tell you." He started, looking nervous. I grabbed his hand under the table where no one could see and gave it a squeeze.

"You're having a baby?!" Rian joked, we all laughed, but Alex continued.

"No, for real, me and Jack are like...an item, we are dating." He looked at me bashfully and we grinned at each other.

The guys didn't even look remotely shocked, I'm pretty sure they knew I'd been pining after Alex for years, and we were so close that I'm pretty sure everyone thought we were dating anyway.

"About time you guys!!" Said Zach, and we all chuckled.

"That's great guys, I'm really happy for you." Rian smiled genuinely.

"Totally." Zach agreed.

Then we just continued to eat and had a great day together laughing and joking, and I must say, it was the best Christmas of my life so far.

The End

A/N: Merry Christmas/Boxing day pals!