3. Merry Christmas, Kiss My Ass!

RIIIINNNGGG

Ugh.

RIIIINNNGGGGGGG

Ughhhhh. I rolled over and glanced at the glowing green numbers on the clock.

4:19 am

Ughhhhh.

"Hello?" I drowsily picked up the phone.

"Oh, thank god Jack you picked up!" Alex sounded relieved, but completely awake.

My heart jumped, my mind not able to catch up, "Are you okay?" I just about managed to expel the words from my mouth.

"Yeah, I'm alright, I can't sleep." He said, sounding fed up.

"Is that why you rung me?" I asked.

"I guess yeah, but this....breakup," his voice broke slightly,"Has really inspired me musically. Which is odd."

"Thats good, you can get something positive out a negative thing." My words fell out my mouth sleepily.

"Should I tell you tomorrow? You sound tired." He said, as if it was only the afternoon.

"Yeah...uh..why are you not tired..?" I felt dreams grabbing me and pulling me into sleep.

Vaguely I heard, "Jack?" Then a soft chuckle, before the line clicked dead.

***

I woke up remembering the odd phone call as if it were a dream. He rung me up to tell me he had musical inspiration? He's lucky I love him.

Alex agreed to come to my house and have a jam, since we were constantly at his.

"So what you got?" I asked.

"Well I wrote a few lyrics," he said, acting shy and shoving the piece of paper under my nose.

I read them carefully, looking for deeper meanings in the words, but the lyrics were very clear as to what they meant.

You told me I was lucky, to have my chance with you,
Now last years summer romance, is this years winter blues

Scribbled out words were placed here and there from when Alex was determined to get in perfect.

Well I hope you're happy with yourself cause I'm not laughing

The words had no particular pattern, which is what I presumed he wanted help with.

"They are great so far! It's good you are able to channel your emotions so well." I complimented.

He shrugged bashfully and after a moment of silence said, "What do we do with them?"

"Just treat it like a usual song," I said shoving a guitar under his nose,"Lets jaaaamm duuuude." I wiggled about like an idiot, and succeeded in making an adorable smile appear on his face.

We suggested some chords to each other, and eventually decided on some that sounded good. Alex worked on ordering and developing the lyrics whilst I concocted a happy go lucky sounding riff.

"This shit sounds goooood!" I grinned.

"Yeah!" Alex smiled, seeming surprised, "But there's not much of a chorus, nothing super catchy."

He pondered for a moment, resting his chin in his hand, I could almost see his thoughts bouncing about in his head. I'm honestly not sure how I get away with staring at him so much but hey, I'm not complaining.

"I quite like this Christmassy theme..." he could well have been talking to himself at this point but I nodded along not wanting to interrupt his creative juices. "It goes, 'so I wrote you a song, I hope that you'll sing along....' maybe I could tag merry Christmas on it?" He suggested, sounding dissatisfied.

"You could...." I felt a mischievous grin creeping onto my face, "or you could say 'Merry Christmas...Kiss My Ass!!!"

He immediately burst into a fit of laughs, barely able to catch his breath. "You cannot be serious?!" Alex exclaimed, looking at me in disbelief whilst I grinned and chuckled along with him.

"No really." He finally gained a bit more composure, "Are you actually joking? I know our songs have been random before, but could we really put out a record with the tag line kiss my ass?!" he laughed again, thinking I was ridiculous.

"Well, it's up to you man, not every song has to go places, this is just about you getting it all out!" I gestured my hands, motioning stuff coming out of my head.

"Yeah." He became subdued again, as if he was wondering how he'd momentarily forgotten about his aching heart. "I dunno, maybe I shouldn't be having fun, let alone writing a song as if I'm totally over her."

I feel uncomfortable seeing the carefree joy leave his eyes and be replaced with that empty sad look again.

"Over her or not bro, we're just having fun, so what do ya think..." I chance another smile, slowly side stepping over to him while sloppily playing the tune we had come up with, before yelling, "Merry Christmas!" I paused nudging him, waiting for him to join in.

He sniled hesitantly, then sang in his lovely voice, "Kiss my ass!!" And we both chuckled again.

"Kiss my ass!" He exclaimed throwing his arms in the air as if questioning his life choices. "Why the hell not?!"

——
A/N: Turns out I never finished this??? Since that's an actual crime, I thought I would finish writing this cosy Christmas story. Only took me 6 years to get round to it....?!