five.

i came to school early, wanting to talk to mike about el.

after all our encounters, I can't help but want to know more about the mysterious girl. after all, it's not as if she was secret right? 

 i was standing by my locker, eyes trained on the doors in the front. I felt a hand land on my shoulder and i almost jumped, but then i realized that it was just max.

"Jesus, you scared me."

max smiled, teasing me, "i can tell, you look like you almost peed your pants." i laughed and nudged her shoulder, us heading down the hall together. i figured i could ask the party about eleven at lunch.

"hey, so" max started off, "i didn't see you out last night."

"i don't go out most nights-"

"trick or treating, i mean. i didn't see you out trick or treating."

"oh. maybe you just didn't see me? i was in this other area, by the west" i lied, trying to sound as believing as possible.

max looked surprised, "oh, i thought that no one there celebrated halloween. that's what the guys told me."

"yeah, that's why it's the perfect place to go. no one goes there, so i basically got barrels of candy."

that sounds so dumb.

"damn, and you didn't tell me?" max asks, and I chuckle.

oh, thank god she bought it.

"Well, I figured you'd be too busy hanging with the creeps- sorry, stalkers," I replied, knowing that she did go trick or treating with them.

she laughed, "how'd you know?"

"just a feeling," i shrugged, "so how was it?"

"well.. it was fun at first. I scared all of them, especially Lucas. He screamed like a little girl! it was hilarious, you should've been there."

i smirk, imagining lucas's face, "sounds about right"

max continues, "anyways, it was fun and all. we hit up the rich people and got all the full size candy bars. but it was weird, like i got the feeling that mike didn't want me there. he.."

i let myself tune out max while she was talking about mike. i already knew why mike didn't like max, he just didn't like the idea of another girl coming into the party when eleven wasn't there with him.

"...and then something happened with will, it totally freaked me out," i heard max say, pulling me back into the real world.

"what happened?"

"i don't know, the guys wouldn't tell me. all I know is that one second he was walking behind us, the next we found him curled up in a ball all scared. he looked like he was hiding from something, but nothing was there. mike took him home after yelling as us- well, me," she explained, going on about how rude Mike was to her.

"Do you know what happened?" she suddenly asked, both of us stopping in front of mr. Clarke's class.

"what do you mean?"

"well, lucas told me he died, apparently, and came back after a week? that's why they call him 'zombie boy"

"i don't know what exactly happened, i just know that he went missing, they found his body in a lake, and we had a funeral for him. a week later, he came back. i guess they found someone else's body and thought it was his," i told the story almost everyone in Hawkins knew about it.