nine.

(reader's point of view)

i opened the door to the shed and tossed my bag onto the floor. i headed straight for the morse code machine that eleven had given to me.

i picked up the transmitter and quickly spelled out:

eleven, i'm home.

i waited a minute, my leg bobbling up and down. there was no response.

i tried again, the same message. i waited for 2 minutes, but nothing came.

no beeping, no noise, just... silence.

"come on, el.." i muttered, worry seeping into my veins.

she can't be busy, right?

i mean... i told her the time that i would be home from school. sure, dustin delayed me, but not by that much.

i punched in: eleven. you there?

again, nothing.

i started panicking, the worst thoughts coming into mind.

what if she got caught?

what if she got attacked?

what if the bad men got to her?

what if-

the thought of something bad happening to her overtook my mind.

no no no no-

breathe, i told myself, just breathe.

"she can take care of herself," i told myself, "she can take care of herself."

no good came out of it. the worst thoughts clouded my brain, more situations toppling over one another like an avalanche.

i ran out of the shed and sprinted over to eleven's cabin, reminding myself along the way that everything would be okay.

eleven can protect herself. she can fight, i kept reminding myself, a feeble attempt to try and calm my nerves.

she's okay.

she has powers.

i reached her house, almost setting off the tripwire, cursing at my foolish behavior.breathe. get it together.

everything seemed normal, there seemed to be no signs of attack. the windows were now replaced by boards of wood, though. my heart sped up a little, but i tried to rationalize my thoughts.