four.

I sat awkwardly next to the soft spoken girl. My eyes trailed to the wooden walls who were dimly lit by yellowish light from a lamp in the corner of the room. The sky outside was growing darker by the second. The silence filling the near empty room was almost comforting. 

I felt my fingers curl subconsciously around the arm of the velvet red couch. I turned hesitantly towards el. the brunette casted her glance down the floor, avoiding my eyes. I contemplated going over to comfort her, but I didn't know if it was okay or not.

I stared at her curled up figure. I noticed that she was shaking, actually trembling from recalling her past. 

screw it, I thought.

I scooted over on the couch and hesitantly placed my hand on her shoulder. she looked up at me with these big, doe eyes and I gave her a hug. 

at first, she stayed still, but I didn't move a muscle. eventually, I felt her body shift and her arms wrapped around me. I smiled into her shoulder, happy that she was confident to hug me back.

we stayed like that for a while, just in each other's arms. it felt more perfect than anything else in my life right now. 

I started to let go of her, feeling her arms drop off from my back. I sat down next to her in silence, waiting for her to say something. when she didn't, I cleared my throat, saying, "Its probably really late, and, uh hopper will be home soon. I dont think hell be happy to see me here."

el looked up at me with an alarmed face, like if she was realizing something. "late?" she asked, scurrying up from the couch. 

"el?" I slowly walked up behind her. when I got up to the window, she stormed away, looking mad and confused. I peeked outside to see the sky completely dark.

how long have i stayed here?

I turned around to see eleven standing behind me, seeming like her heart just dropped from her chest to her feet. "what's wrong?" I asked, walking over to her. "hey what happened?"

"Its late...", she said quietly staring at the floor in front of her. 

I peer over her shoulder to see a clock with blaring red numbers, showing the time "6:00"

"Late?" I asked, trying to figure out why she was so worked up about it being dark. "is there something wrong?"

"hopper. he promised... he said", she took a deep breath, "he promised that he'd be home by..." she frowned lightly while trying to pronounce her next words, "five-one-five"

"You mean five fifteen?"

"yeah, five fif...fifteen. hopper promised to come early. for his c-compromise." she said.

she lifted her stare from the floor to me, her eyes showing both anger and glum. I dont know how import this promise was or how important it was for him to be here, but I knew that eleven was devastated that he wasn't home by now.

I looked at her in the eyes and she stared back. how was I going to leave her?

"I can stay with you until hopper comes," I offered, "only if you're okay with it though-" I added quickly.

a spark of hope was brought into her eyes before her face fell down again, "but... dont you have trick or treating?"

I shook my head, chuckling. "dont worry. I dont do that kind of thing."

"why?"

"well..."

I explained.

"yeah, that's pretty much it," i said, clasping my hands together.

eleven seemed stunned, but i could see the sympathy on her face as she glanced at me.

"i-i'm sorry..."

"no, don't apologize," i nudged her shoulder, "it's not like you had anything to do with my life. besides, we can't choose our family."

"we can't choose our family," el repeated slowly, smiling.

-

it was way past 5:15 now, the time now being 8:30. eleven looked angrier than sad, whispering, "he promised. he promised." i felt bad for her.

she suddenly looked up from the movie we were watching and turned off the tv with her powers. the screen went from black to static-y. she stood up, "there's something i wanna do."

we set up the tv to do something that had to do with her powers. as soon as we were going to start, we heard knocking coming from the front door. both of our heads snapped up towards the door and to each other. "shit," i cursed, "he's home."

i smiled, "i'll try to come back after school tomorrow."

"what if you can't come?"

i looked around her house, searching for something to use. i spotted a morse code receiver and smiled, "we could message each other through morse code. i'll tune into the box's channel and message you if i can't make it."

she smiled and nodded, "thank you."

"what are friends for?" I said jokingly.

"go out through the window in my room," she whispered, ushering me to her room. we both quickly cleaned up, making sure that it seemed like i was never there.

"i'm sorry i didn't get to see whatever it was that you wanted to show me," i whispered as i crawled out the window.

"i'll show you next time," she smiled.

"so there's a next time?" i joked, raising an eyebrow.

we both laughed, our fun cut short when we heard more banging, followed by muffled yells.

"bye, el," i winked, jumping out through the window. 

(I know this is a very short chapter. if I was going to post a whole one, it might take even more time and I just wanted to give you guys something to read :))