𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

( — SIXTEEN ; CRYSTALLIZED WISTERIA )

"YOU'RE honestly so sweet, Naho-chan. How come you like serving people?"

Naho pranced about the room, showing off her red butterfly clips. Me and the Butterfly Quad were relaxing in the living room of the Butterfly Estate. Strangely, Shinobu-san hadn't been present here for the past two days.

"I like to serve because it makes me smile whenever I help people!" Naho answered simply, doing an unsuccessful rain dance.

"Do you girls want any bread?" Aoi called out as she entered the room with a basket of delicious-smelling food. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was probably either chocolate fudge or extra-buttery-with-chocolate toast.

"I'll have one!" The girls seconded Kiyo's motion, but I declined. I simply laid down on the sofa, and stared outside.

Huh. Looks like its a full moon.

Suddenly, a rustle startled me, and I quickly jumped up, causing alarm to the Butterfly Quad. Aoi sprang into action — clutching the little girls protectively in her arms.

"Mila?"

Muichiro!

"What're you doing?" I questioned, helping him climb into the room. "It's so late — "

"Listen, I want you to remember what I'm about to say," Muichiro cut off, and I gulped at the serious tone of his voice. "You girls stay in here at all times. Do not answer the door for anyone, unless its a slayer or a Hashira. Okay? If anything happens, run to the basement. Understood?"

"Muichiro, what the hell is happening?!"

I felt his arms circle around me tightly, and I returned the gesture worriedly. What was going on? Wait, don't tell me.

"You're going to fight Kibutsuji."

"I don't know, but I'm getting a feeling we're within arm's reach. Which is why I want you to stay safe."

"I got it."

"Also," Muichiro's voice dropped quietly, and I raised a questioning eyebrow. He reached into the pocket of his uniform, and I softly released a shaky breath.

It was a beautifully carved wooden ring, small enough to fit in my palm. There was a purple crystal perched atop, decorated into a wisteria blossom. I peeked at the sides and read the words 'Infinity'.

"Muichiro...what is this?"

"I wanted to give you this when I confessed, but I hadn't figured out what to write yet. I guess you can say I'm proposing." Muichiro smiled, and I could feel tears welling up in the backs of my eyes. "You like it?"

"Correction: I love it."

"Great." He planted a slow kiss on my lips, which I gladly returned, and I ignored the Butterfly Quad's shocked noises.

"You'll be fine without me for a while, right?"

"Of course I will be."

° • ° • ° • °

EXPLOSION after explosion was heard in the next hours that proceeded after that. I desperately tried to choke back my own tears, and I covered my ears to prevent hearing them anymore. The Butterfly Quad were kneeling together, huddled in a circle, while praying. I did the same.

Please gods, just let them return to us safely.

This was so unfair. Why were the best people always the ones who had to suffer the most? What did they do to deserve such things? If demons never existed, how would Muichiro and I have met?

I kept replaying some daydream scenarios on how me and Muichiro would have normally met. I'd have been a next-door neighbor, and constantly telling their parents to let me hang out. I'd often scold Yuichiro — Muichiro's twin — for being a moody boy, and I'd cuddle with Muichiro all day. We'd go to adventures together.

I keep saying to myself: but that won't happen. You met under different circumstances.

But a girl can dream, can't she?

Oh, how I wish for Muichiro to be alive still. I wanted to make more memories with him, Giyuu-san, Shinobu-san, Mitsuri, and Iguro-san. I still wanted Sanemi-san to bully me. I wanted the Kamaboko trio to visit me in the hospital for daily check-ups. I'd pat Nezuko's and Genya's heads, and also with Kaburumaru. I'd make food with Kanao. I'll even meditate with Gyomei-san Just let them return to us alive. I don't expect them to be in mint condition, just as long as they're alive.

I could hear Sumi's sobs, and I pressed my chin on top of her head as I embraced her. She grasped my sleeves tightly, and continued to release tears from her eyes.

I guess you can say I'm proposing.

Proposing.

Proposing.

I loved him so much, and I can't bear to lose him.