𝐨𝐧𝐞

( — ONE ; THE WOMAN WITH THE PINK BRAIDS )

NIGHTFALL was a dangerous time up here in the mountains. There was the threat of demons, lurking in the shadows of the trees while waiting to strike the perfect target.

I'd always feared the bamboo groves surrounding our simple minka, which was why whenever I was tasked an outdoor chore — be it day or night — I'd wrangle my way out of it. Eventually, my mother made me go, and when nothing happened, I stopped being afraid.

Sunlight would hit my face with its heat and brightness. How can a huge star burn so much without running out of gas? Here in our house, we'd use a jarful of oil for our lamps, and yet it only lasted a few hours.

I live in the secluded bamboo forests with my family, the Kanata clan. We were a generation of healthy and intelligent men and women, and I was proud to show off my little brothers and sister. Although me and Akime were the oldest girls of the household, our brothers still insisted on protecting us. And we let them.

"Onee-san! Akime nee-san won't give me my shogi pieces!" One of my brothers, Koutaro, complained to me, tugging the ends of my yukata's skirt.

Akime, the eldest in our family, juggled the pieces with her one hand while wearing a proud smirk on her face. "Do you even know how to play?"

This was a daily basis. Akime was one hell of a playful girl, and it annoyed me and the boys sometimes. Nevertheless, I sort of admire my elder sibling for it. And sometimes the boys deserved it too. Just not today.

Before I could even respond, a male voice echoed right outside our yard. "Akime-chan! Mila-chan! I have some cinnamon rolls!"

It was my closest friend, Jijinchi Subaru. He lived in the next town over, and had a habit of bringing us desserts even though Akime repetitively told him it was okay, and that we already had sufficient meals.